I find it hard to believe that many. if ANY. of us wouldnt do the very same thing.

It is all very well to be posturing from the moral high ground when not in the same position - but would we honestly not consider leaving a financially unstable club in trouble for a league which is one of, if not THE, best league in the world where the riches on offer are astronomical ?

A footballer's career is a short one and unless they are a "Neil Murray" (only example I can think of quickly of someone who has an education behind him - there will be many more) then they may not have a great deal to fall back on post-career.

Boyd leaving does not mean he is not a Rangers man. It could just as easily be that he merely wants to make as much money as he can, in a short career, to take care of his family.

Further, how do we seriously know that he has been lying ? How do we know that he didnt actually consider Smith's future as being pivotal to him ? Smith is staying one year whilst Boyd's contract offer was for one. What if he doesnt fancy playing for McCoist ? Then he signs a 3 yr contract but only gets to play for Smith for one ?

What if circumstances have simply changed since he stated his reasons for waiting ? People arent allowed to change their minds ?

People, especially Rangers-supporting Rangers players, have to blindly show loyalty to the club ? So Novo should have taken the reputed pay-cut just because he is a "Ranger" ? how ironic that we will gladly cut the wee man some slack because his reason for leaving is that he needed more starts - who is to say that his reason wasn't also because he simply wanted more money ? Yet Novo has been given an incredible amount of slack (I happen to believe him but it doesnt mean it isnt plausible that his reasons were not as sincere as that....) yet Boyd is lambasted as being a liar and a turncoat of sorts.

Oh how ironic.... perhaps even hypocritical.

If he wants to leave then fair enough - if we want to look at reasons why or people to apportion blame at we should be looking at those who waited till far too late in his contract before sorting it out - or our custodian who got us into the financial mire we find ourselves in.

I see your angle Craig but when you take it into reality that Boyd was offered 15k (would that be right?) PER WEEK - guarenteed for 4 years - plus add on's - for playing for the club he supposedly loves then I have no time for the "improving lifestyle" argument. He got greedy - end of!

I think WS's comments are brilliant - "he is leaving". Seems to me there was a bit of negotitation but WS wants things sorted out so he knows what tools he has next season to work with. You cant fuck the club about and try to get a better deal for himself. Either show commitment of your out the door. WS, AM, KM all worked without contracts last season and Boyd said signing these 3 up was the priority, I think he was being patronising at the time.

Most on here will know Ive never been a fan of Boyd and I am looking forward to seeing his comment in a few years time "leaving Rangers was biggest regret" - That is a banker to happen!

To us mere plebs who dont get nearly as much as that it seems like a shit load of money.

BUt when you break it down, simplisticly, at 15k a week he will be losing roughly 50% in tax and NI etc - so he walks away with 7.5k a week - which is about 375k a year after tax. Still a lot of money, yes. But if his career lasts even 10 years at that kind of salary level then he is looking at 3.75 million over that career. If he then has no future career 3.5 million is actually not a HUGE amount to fall back on for the remainder of one's life (although I doubt I will EVER have that type of cash).

But if he is getting 30k a week that number doubles to 7.5 million. That is a sizeable jump and I for one simply couldnt begrudge him in taking that type of wage increase.

IMO the only real complaint we can have about Boyd is that he has suggested that the major determinant in him staying or going was going to be Smith, McCoist and McDowall signing back on. Basically he made it look like he would sign if they did. But that still doesnt make him a "non-Ranger" - not in my eyes at least.

Although I suspect he will leave for pastures new do we have anything more concrete than WS stating he will leave ? I am just wondering if there is any possibility that Smith is doing this to force Boyd's hand into simply making a decision one way or the other so that WS knows, one way or the other, whether he needs to find a replacement or not ?