Neil Alexander has pledged his commitment to Rangers and is ready to sign a new deal with the club.

More...

Neil Alexander has pledged his commitment to Rangers and is ready to sign a new deal with the Scottish Premier League champions.

The 32-year-old goalkeeper, who is in the final year of his deal with Gers, has been unable to relieve first-choice shot-stopper Allan McGregor of the number one jersey during his time at the Ibrox.

But despite interest from other clubs, Scotland international Alexander, who joined Gers on a free transfer from Ipswich in 2008, insists he is happy where he is.

New deal

"The manager has spoken to me in the past year about trying to get a new contract sorted," Alexander told the Daily Record.

"I have a year left but it would be great to extend it.

"I love being at Rangers and I want to be part of a squad challenging for trophies and playing in big games for the next few years.

"I am disappointed not to have played more matches but this is just an unfortunate circumstance of being a No.2 at such a fantastic club.

"If you can live with that, then there is no reason to be anything other than delighted at being at Rangers.

"I have worked hard and gone up through the ranks to reach a team which is winning silverware and playing in the Champions League. Why should I want to leave?"

The goalkeeper insists despite his lack of game time, he is thrilled that manager Walter Smith is staying on at the club for another year.

Respect

"Walter Smith is the greatest manager I have worked with and I know I am speaking for the rest of the players too," he added.

"Think about it this way. These words are coming from a man who cannot get a game. You would think if anyone would be unhappy with the manager it would be me.

"But that is impossible. I totally respect him as a man and as a manager.

"He is the only man who can take the club forward at the moment."

Edited by Frankie

Guest Flying Hippo

zoolander460.jpg

Sold the jerseys against ra Cellic but other than that he's basically been the perfect number 2. Quite a few players who we need to get signed up to new contracts before him though

An adequate backup but absolutely nothing more than that. Not an especially great goalkeeper, but sufficient when McGregor is not available.

Which is exactly what you expect of your deputy.

An adequate backup but absolutely nothing more than that. Not an especially great goalkeeper, but sufficient when McGregor is not available.

I think you're being a bit harsh on Alexander Danny. We were a extremely close to completing a quadruple with Alexander between the sticks in the 07/08 season and very few teams get to a European final with a 'not especially great goalkeeper'. On top of that, a lot of fans actually prefer Alexander to McGregor and wanted Alexander to keep the No.1 slot last summer and the summer before. I for one would have no problem with Alexander taking the No.1 slot should McGregor be sold.

Guest Flying Hippo

I think Alexander's performance at Celtic Park put pay to the idea that he's this uber consistent, never flustered goalkeeper

It was worse than Klos' showing in the CIS Cup game in all honesty

Guest Flying Hippo

We only conceded more than 1 goal in 3 SPL games all season and Alexander was in goal for 2 of them

Maybe complete coincidence but those who don't rate McGregor always go on about how Alexander inspires more faith from his defence

You can't always blame the goalie when the team start shipping goals through mistakes and poor effort made all over the park. Look at our CL home games last season as an example.

I think you're being a bit harsh on Alexander Danny. We were a extremely close to completing a quadruple with Alexander between the sticks in the 07/08 season and very few teams get to a European final with a 'not especially great goalkeeper'.

Celtic. 2003. Seville. Rab Douglas.

On top of that, a lot of fans actually prefer Alexander to McGregor and wanted Alexander to keep the No.1 slot last summer and the summer before. I for one would have no problem with Alexander taking the No.1 slot should McGregor be sold.

Yes, I know a lot of fans have this misguided notion of Alexander in goals over McGregor. And I got bored arguing about it a long time ago now so I'm not going to restart now.

He had one bad game - hardly the end of the world.

Alexander is a fine 'keeper; not as good as McGregor but an excellent deputy to have.

Wouldn't go as far as 'fine' or 'excellent' but I agree otherwise.