Celtic. 2003. Seville. Rab Douglas.

There's at least one exception to every rule.. :)

Yes, I know a lot of fans have this misguided notion of Alexander in goals over McGregor. And I got bored arguing about it a long time ago now so I'm not going to restart now.

We're on the same page here because I've always considered McGregor the better goalie, but I still think you're being a tad harsh on Alexander by practically making out that he's mediocre.

I think you're being a bit harsh on Alexander Danny. We were a extremely close to completing a quadruple with Alexander between the sticks in the 07/08 season and very few teams get to a European final with a 'not especially great goalkeeper'. On top of that, a lot of fans actually prefer Alexander to McGregor and wanted Alexander to keep the No.1 slot last summer and the summer before. I for one would have no problem with Alexander taking the No.1 slot should McGregor be sold.

I agree, it wasn't so long ago the Shagger was making a few errors and some of us were shouting for Alexander to be given his shot. He fecked up against Sellik but otherwise has been solid for us and hasnt really made a fuss despite having been on the end of a tough decision that Sir Walter had to make. Shagger IS a better keeper than Alexander, although he can learn a lot from alexander's attitude.

For my 2p, I think Alexander is a good goalkeeper but not fantastic. I'm extremely happy to have him as a second keeper but would be less inclined to have him as first choice, although would take him at a push if we received a load of money for McGregor which allowed us to keep Boogie or bring in an equivalent replacement for the Algerian centre half.

I wouldn't like to lose Bougherra, Wilson AND Greegs without replacing any of them with quality. I don't think Alexander would cope so well with a weakened defence.

I can see why he's keen to stay as although he's second choice and doesn't get a lot of games - what is his alternative? He's probably on at least 6 grand a week, had a great run in the League Cup to pick up a medal, and his most likely move would be to somewhere like Motherwell on a about third of his wage and not much chance of winning anything.

For a guy of his age, ability and stature in the game, I don't think he can expect to come close to matching what he already has - and it seems he has no illusions about it.