Seen as there is a strikers thread...

Im a bit more concerned about our defence next season more so than the strikers. We have Miller, Lafferty, Velicka, Fleck and Naismith who can all play upfront and non are likely to leave. Granted the quality isnt the best its ever been but the numbers are ok.

But with the futures of Bougherra, Wilson and Broadfoot not certain we should be on the look out for a centre half. Can Weir really perform another year? Will Webster be fit? (seems to have a jinx when pulling on the blue).

If 2 of the 3 mentioned stay it solves a few things but if all 3 left we are in a mess. Papac can operate at centre half temporarily but if he does that leaves us without a LB following S Smith's departure. Whittaker can switch to LB but that means either Broadfoot (if he doesnt leave) or Little (who hasnt impressed) at RB.

It's a very fair point to make mate...

The uncertainty surrounding our defence is worrying. Is Bougherra leaving? Why haven't Weir and Broadfoot committed? Will Steven Smith be replaced?

We've been pretty lucky when it comes to finding good centre-halves in recent years so hopefully the reason the latter two are not staying is because we have another player if higher quality to bring in.

Jose Goncalves on a bosman from Hearts please.

Allegedly been scouting Honduran defender Jonny Palacios - younger brother of Wilson Palacios.

And at the risk of a ban - Tonel.

Goncalves is OK and can play left-back which would make him a useful signing. Unfortunately;y, he's also injury prone and I'm not convinced he's of the quality required to improve our team.

At the moment I'm guessing Webster and Weir are our likely CB pairing. The most recent stuff from Weir seems to suggest he'll be here for another season. I know that a few people who've seen a lot of Webster this season have all been impressed with him, so assuming he's over his injury problems it will be good to see him back.

Bougherra seems to be linked with another club each week, so unless he has a terrible WC I'm guessing he'll be off. Wilson seems determined to go and recent talk has Broadfoot going with him, so we're definitely looking light at the back. Like you say, the fact Whittaker can play either side means we might get away with those positions if we have a reserve RB available.

WS has a good record with CBs, so its one area I'm less worried about tbh. Everything is just so up in the air at the moment due to the takeover (or lack of) but at the same time, with the WC about to start, maybe there isn't the same urgency to get things done with all the focus being on SA.

Goncalves is OK and can play left-back which would make him a useful signing. Unfortunately;y, he's also injury prone and I'm not convinced he's of the quality required to improve our team.

I agree he can be injury prone but I feel he has the credentials to be a very good player - strong and quick - and with the carrot of champions league football I reckon he would flourish into a fine player with us.

With Celtic reportedly interested in this Spanish fella Ramis I wouldn't be surprised if we held an interest also.

Guest Flying Hippo

If Weir puts pen to paper, he will play every minute of every game like last season. If he thought he could only play the odd match, or Walter did, he would retire

Now that Benitez is gone, i'd imagine Wilson will stay

Goncalves is a strange one for me, reasonable player, however wasn't he wanting �£10k a week at Hearts to stay? What would he want here?

I feel the full back are a little more priority than centre backs seeing as we have 3 under contract and probably 4 when Weir signs on.

Goncalves is a strange one for me, reasonable player, however wasn't he wanting �£10k a week at Hearts to stay? What would he want here?

I feel the full back are a little more priority than centre backs seeing as we have 3 under contract and probably 4 when Weir signs on.

Not sure what his wage demands would be - perhaps we could offer more appearance money. The bonus with Goncalves would be he can play centre back or left back (if that is a bonus) but I feel he's one of the few SPL players I would be happy to sign.

Guest Flying Hippo

We're ok at full back so long as Papac and Whittaker remain as <insert the opposite of injury prone> as they have been throughout their Rangers careers

We could cope with Little at right back or Wylde at left back 5 or 6 times a season, though it would obviously be a different story if Papac or Whittaker got a bad injury