RANGERS idol Nacho Novo was hailed a hero last night after he saved a wedding guest from choking to death on a bacon roll.

The Spaniard was at former team-mate Steven Davis's wedding reception when a fellow guest turned blue as he tucked into the late-night snack.

And Nacho immediately used his first aid skills, grabbing the man and performing the Heimlich manoeuvre on him before clearing his windpipe by pounding on his back.

Rangers goalie Neil Alexander told the Record: "There's no doubt Nacho saved the guy's life.

"He was first to react when the guy began to pass out. I'm really glad he knew what he was doing because everyone else was panicking.

"After the Heimlich manoeuvre didn't work, Nacho just battered him between the shoulder blades and a big bit of bacon came flying out."

It's understood that the guest, a former neighbour of Steven's from his days at Fulham, was none the worse for his ordeal.

Striker Nacho, 31, played for Rangers for six years but has now moved back to his homeland with La Liga team Sporting Gijon.

He joined Ibrox pals Ally McCoist, Allan McGregor and Kyle Lafferty at Steven's wedding reception at Dundas Castle in South Queensferry on Saturday.

Steven wed childhood sweetheart Tracey Moore earlier at St Mary's Episcopal Cathedral in Edinburgh.

His Northern Ireland team-mates David Healy and Aaron Hughes were also at the reception in a marquee in the castle grounds.

Modest Nacho didn't want to comment on the bacon roll drama.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/2010/06/08/former-rangers-star-nacho-novo-to-the-rescue-as-man-chokes-at-pal-steven-davis-s-wedding-86908-22318273/

had to laugh at seeing "bacon roll" in print attached to a story like this!

Well done Nacho!

And well done and good luck to Steven. Total gent of a guy I had the pleasure to meet as he probably was going off on his stag do looking at the timing of it now! We would be painful to watch without him!

Agree totally. I still can't understand letting him go. Bloody annoyed about that.

I'll second that, although Novo may have been looking for promises Walter was not willing to give.

I'll second that, although Novo may have been looking for promises Walter was not willing to give.

Nacho left because he wanted more first team football. As time went on in his period at Ibrox, he got less and less of that and obviously wanted more - plenty as subs but not too many starts.

He's given us everything and the time was right for him to move on, and he got an absolutely fantastic move and good luck to him.