If the season started tomorrow

Who would you field???

At the moment Id opt for a 3-5-2.

______________________McGregor_____________________

_________Webster______Bougherra_____Papac__________

______________Edu____________Thomson______________

________Fleck___________Davis___________McCulloch___

_________________Miller_______Lafferty________________

Nah, don't like that team mate and definitely don't like the 3-5-2 set-up...

I'd be happier with something like this:

:am:

:sw: :mb: :aw: :sp:

:me: :sd: :kt:

:sn: :km: :kl:

We could do with a left-sided player but I've said that for about 7 years and we've not got one... :(

My tuppence worth.....

______________________McGregor____________________

Whittaker_______Webster______Bougherra_____Papac____

_______________________Edu________________________

____________Davis____Thomson________Fleck_________

_________________Miller_______Naismith_______________

Interesting! Id not let Naismith near my team. Cant see what the guy offers at all.

Im also not fan of Whittaker. He is a run of the mill full back and I find him dangerous at times.

I still think the 3-5-2 would work well but Id not go with it in Europe. Those 3 centre halfs are all more than decent on their day, then with Thomson playing the Stuart McCall role Edu could nip up and down. McCulloch's natural position was an attacking midfielder on the left side so why not play him there????

Im still a firm believer in playing to our strengths rather than marking the opposition out.

I saw quite a lot of Naismith when he played for Killie and I do think he has something to offer us if played up front in a more traditional forward's position rather than out wide left. The same could be said of Lafferty of course.

In my lineup, you could swap Fleck for McCulloch, particularly as Fleck's preferred position seems to be playing off the front man.

I agree about Whittaker, defence isn't his strong point, but going forward he does give us something else and is one of the most skilful players we have, very comfortable on the ball, when his confidence is high. I've never been a fan of 3 centre backs as I think its a difficult system to play unless you have the right players for it and also a couple of strong wing backs who can play as part of the midfield.

I do agree though Gribz, you should play to your strengths and on paper, Weir, Papac, Bougherra and Webster are four very good CBs.

Whittaker_______Webster______Bougherra_____Papac__ __

____________Davis____Thomson________McCulloch_______

__________________________Fleck______________________

______________________Miller____________ ___

My tuppence worth.....

Whittaker_______Webster______Bougherra_____Papac____

____________Davis____Thomson________Fleck_________

_________________Miller_______Naismith_______________

If that were the line up then I would swap Edu and Thomson. Edu is more of an attacking threat than Thomson is. Thomson is a bit better at breaking up play too and has shown in the past that he can slow down an opposition attack, which would be needed to get cover back.

Guest Flying Hippo

Pretty clear that we can still pick a decent starting line up. The worry is how on earth we'd cope with a few injuries

Take Kenny Miller out of our team and i'd be terrified. Seriously.

I actually quite like a 3-5-2 too (especially at home when many teams domestically play with 1 up top against us). However, you MUST have the appropriate personnel to perform it. We might actually have them.

Playing with 3 CB's requires you to have decent pace in that area. Whilst Papac isnt the fastest, Webster does OK and we know Bougherra is pacy.

The important positions (if there are any more important than others) would be the wide players in the "5" - Whittaker would probably come into his own there as he is better going forward than defending. Would still be expected to defend but probably not as deep and not to the same extent. The other wide player would be harder to put in. Fleck ? Not great at defending though.

One good thing out of that is that we would be able to field Edu, Davis AND Thomson in the centre, with Davis playing slightly advanced of the other 2.

Up front you could have Miller and Lafferty.

One other reason this formation could work is that we have, in the past, struggled due to the opposition flooding the midfield with 5 players and we get over-run. A 3-5-2 potentially (more so than a 4-4-2) negates that threat !