Do we know what the wages cap means? I don't think anyone can doubt there's one in place, as that was one of Bain's first jobs was to get the wage budget under control and then cut it down further to sensible levels. So we clearly have a strict wage structure just now which means, for example, that 15K per week is the max wage we'll pay.

But I'm assuming the details of Boyd's contract just confirmed that player bonuses - appearance and goal ones for example - come from a separate pot of money so to speak. I think that's why we have to take things with a pinch of salt when it comes to how much a player's wage actually is.

Boyd obviously didn't want to stay and I think regardless of the player, we don't want to set a precedent by breaking the wage structure for anyone. I think we need to realign our expectations of the sort of players we may sign, but as WS has shown over the last couple of years, that's doesn't necessarily mean we can't continue to enjoy domestic success. The thing that makes me a bit more nervous than anything just now is that WS is going to step down. If we are going to continue with a smaller core team supplemented by younger players, I'd rather we keep WS in place as he has that special something which means he gets the best from players, particularly when it comes to the SPL.

I agree with Bmck, all this is interesting stuff to chat and speculate about, but there's so little actual facts known, that its just that, speculation, at the end of the day.