Rangers trialist expecting verdict on Tuesday

Nothing about this on the official site yet.

Salim Kerkar, the younger brother of one-time Dundee United player Karim, expects to learn whether he has done enough to stay at Ibrox.

Rangers could make their fourth signing of the summer on Tuesday if they decide to offer a contract to trialist Salim Kerkar. The Algerian midfielder, who took part in a bounce match against Partick Thistle last week, is currently at Murray Park on the recommendation of defender Madjid Bougherra.

Kerkar was released by French third tier side FC Gueugnon in the summer, having spent four years with Rene Le Lamer�s side. The 23-year-old then came to Scotland, becoming one of four players to get a run out against the Jags in a 5-0 win.

The French-born Algerian found the net in that match but, according to reports in the Scottish newspapers, had been told by Walter Smith he would not be offered a deal. The player himself has refuted those claims and says he will in fact find out his fate imminently and is hopeful he will be asked to join.

ââ?¬Å?I have been with Rangers since Tuesday, August 18,ââ?¬Â Kerkar told lebuteur.com. ââ?¬Å?I have trained very hard and I hope to convince the technical staff to sign me.

ââ?¬Å?I have trained for the most part with the first team. I trained with them on Tuesday and Wednesday but on Friday they had to prepare their tactics for their game, so I was with the reserves.

ââ?¬Å?In principle, they will give me an answer on Tuesday. I have read on the internet that Rangers have already told me to leave but I am still at the club and I am still on trial. They may refuse me but it is also possible that they want to hold onto me.

ââ?¬Å?The decision rests with the coach and coaching staff. My first dream is to be signed by Rangers and then, why not, join the Algerian national team for an adventure in the future.ââ?¬Â

Kerkar, who can play on the left flank or through the middle, spent a short period of time as Bougherra�s team-mate at Gueugnon, before the defender moved on to play for Sheffield Wednesday in 2006.

The Algerian duo have kept in touch down the years as their careers have taken different paths. Kerkar, who also had a short loan spell at Calais two years ago, says it was his compatriot who helped engineer his trial period in Glasgow.

ââ?¬Å?It was Madjid who spoke to the coach,ââ?¬Â Kerkar revealed. ââ?¬Å?He is responsible for my presence in Scotland. He talked to me and the coach agreed to take me on trial.

ââ?¬Å?But, in addition to Madjid, my agent has also played his role because he knows the manager. But their efforts have stopped, it is now my turn to play and show I deserve to be signed.

ââ?¬Å?We played together in France when he was with Gueugnon. Since then we have stayed in touch.ââ?¬Â

The Kerkar name will be a familiar one to fans of Dundee United, Clyde, St Mirren and St Johnstone, with Salim's older brother Karim having spent short spells at Broadwood and Tannadice in 2004 after leaving Manchester City.

Karim then had trials with St Mirren and St Johnstone three years later but pulled out of a move to both clubs at the 11th hour, angering then managers Gus MacPherson and Owen Coyle.