RST capitulates in front of the oppostition

Guest Northampton_loyalist
I don't think anyone here is particularly naive about the inventiveness of our media and no doubt the RST isn't immune to it. However, most 'spokesmen' take that into account before before they offer opinions they later regret. Could the naivety you mention be more usefully directed at those whose role it is to interact with the media?

there are constant claims of media reworkings in the press and you only have to look at the number of foreign players who claim to have been misquoted. We all know that papers print what they like and it is no surprise at all to hear that someones words have been twisted. The job cant be an easy one and I would certainly not like to take on the media in any capacity, especially in an unpaid role.

Not you particularly MF, but there is a tendancy to accept what is written when it suits an angle and to disregard things that dont fit quite so nicely into peoples agendas. I think this can safely be put down as one of those times; People saw a quote from Edgar and rather than question it, believed it wholeheartedly because it gave them ammunition. If a paper tommorrow said something like 'Rangers will be taken over by the weekend' people would automatically jump on it as bullshit. You simply cant have it both ways, taking them at face value when it suits and disregarding the lot as corrupt individuals in a corrupt collective when it doesnt.

Edited by Northampton_loyalist

David Edgar, of the Rangers Supporters Trust, said: “To get on a long bus journey to be corralled, surrounded by stewards and police, to have to watch what you are saying, it’s just not an attractive proposition.

The club has done everything possible to ensure things go smoothly. This is not 2008 with 150,000 ticketless fans. Rangers insider

“Rangers fans are realists. We are not going to win so we would be better off spending our money on going to Valencia.”

However Andy Kerr, president of the Rangers Supporters’ Assembly, said the last of the tickets had been taken up yesterday morning.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/eyes-of-world-on-rangers-fans-1.1054918

boabies will be sooked and hell freeze over....etc etc...

there are constant claims of media reworkings in the press and you only have to look at the number of foreign players who claim to have been misquoted. We all know that papers print what they like and it is no surprise at all to hear that someones words have been twisted. The job cant be an easy one and I would certainly not like to take on the media in any capacity, especially in an unpaid role.

Not you particularly MF, but there is a tendancy to accept what is written when it suits an angle and to disregard things that dont fit quite so nicely into peoples agendas. I think this can safely be put down as one of those times; People saw a quote from Edgar and rather than question it, believed it wholeheartedly because it gave them ammunition. If a paper tommorrow said something like 'Rangers will be taken over by the weekend' people would automatically jump on it as bullshit. You simply cant have it both ways, taking them at face value when it suits and disregarding the lot as corrupt individuals in a corrupt collective when it doesnt.

The hypocrisy of which you speak is a most unattractive trait and one which few of us avoid completely. The media on the other hand seems to cherish and cultivate it, which is why anyone dealing with the media always assumes the worst while hoping for the best. I don't doubt Edgar has been the subject of deliberate misquoting from time to time but he's resorted to this explanation on quite a few occasions to field criticism and might have found the sense to either adjust his methods (written statements?) or leave the giving of statements to someone else. There is just a suspicion on my part that there is less mis-quoting going on that Mr Edgar would sometimes like us all to believe ... knowing where the hypocrisy lies can be even more difficult that avoiding it yourself.

Guest Northampton_loyalist
The hypocrisy of which you speak is a most unattractive trait and one which few of us avoid completely. The media on the other hand seems to cherish and cultivate it, which is why anyone dealing with the media always assumes the worst while hoping for the best. I don't doubt Edgar has been the subject of deliberate misquoting from time to time but he's resorted to this explanation on quite a few occasions to field criticism and might have found the sense to either adjust his methods (written statements?) or leave the giving of statements to someone else. There is just a suspicion on my part that there is less mis-quoting going on that Mr Edgar would sometimes like us all to believe ... knowing where the hypocrisy lies can be even more difficult that avoiding it yourself.

Pretty hard to disagree with any of that and there is always the chance that 'misquote' is a convenient get-out clause. Personaly I dont see it but I tend to look for the best in folks rather than assume the worst.

I would say that having shared a message-board with Mr. Edgar for a good few years, he normally comes across as overly confidant rather than overly negative, so I am disposed to belive the best rather than the worst.