Celtic Fans Throw Conkers At Ref

CELTIC fans went bonkers yesterday at a controversial referee - and showered a pitch with CONKERS.

Hoops supporters unleashed a volley of horse-chestnuts during a stormy SPL clash with Dundee United at Tannadice.

Coins and other missiles were also thrown after ref Dougie McDonald cancelled a penalty he'd awarded to the Parkhead side.

The match official then had to remove a green lighter which police say was thrown on to the field from the visitors' section of the stadium.

And last night it emerged Celtic may face a probe by league chiefs into the crowd disorder.

Police confirmed that a number of Hoops supporters were ejected from the ground during the game, which was broadcast live on Sky TV.

Cops struggled to contain furious fans reacting to the referee's U-turn.

And Celtic manager Neil Lennon was also captured on camera - appearing to repeatedly shout "F****** s***" at the fourth official when he realised his side had been denied a spot-kick.

A Tayside Police spokesman said: "It was a rowdy Celtic support that was in the stadium today.

"Coins were thrown on to the pitch and, bizarrely, a number of conkers landed on the grass as well. Still, I suppose it is that time of year."

The spokesman added: "The referee will be making his report and police are making further inquiries."

Celtic eventually won the match 2-1 thanks to a 90th-minute winner by English striker Gary Hooper.

Moments later an accidental clash of heads left Dundee United forward Jon Daly covered in blood.

Yesterday's shower of conkers join a long list of unusual objects thrown on to football pitches.

In December 2001, several Celtic players were pelted with snowballs chucked by Aberdeen fans during an SPL match at Pittodrie.

At the 2007 Carling Cup Final at Wembley, Arsenal's Spanish star Cesc Fabregas was the target of dozens of sticks of celery thrown by Chelsea supporters.

The vegetables - linked to a rude terrace chant - were later banned by Chelsea bosses.

In 1998, Hull City fans covered their pitch in tennis balls as a protest against club owner David Lloyd, a former British Davis Cup captain.

A dead cat was aimed at the playing field at the end of a Charlton Athletic v Luton Town game in 1982.

And in 1988, Newcastle United fans pelted ex-hero Paul Gascoigne with Mars Bars when he returned to their ground with new club Spurs.

The legendary midfielder - later to star for Rangers - had said in an interview that he loved the sweets.

In typically cheeky fashion, Gazza refused to be annoyed by the stunt.

He simply wandered over in the middle of the game, picked up a bar, unwrapped it - and took a bite.

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/3184489/Celtic-fans-throw-conkers-at-ref.html#ixzz12hHMHpvo

"Coins were thrown on to the pitch and, bizarrely, a number of conkers landed on the grass as well. Still, I suppose it is that time of year."

I can't believe a cop came away with a line like that. The whole statement is strange but the part in bold is unbelievable! :eek:

That's like saying that flinging coins on the park is OK as most people have them in their pockets.

Celtic could face a probe from the SPL and SFA after missiles were thrown onto the pitch at Tannadice in the aftermath of Dougie McDonald’s penalty U-turn.

After having it pointed out to him by one of his assistants, the referee picked up a lighter that was tossed from the stand housing the travelling support, and will include the incident in his match report.

Tayside police claim chestnuts and coins were also lobbed on, and that a number of Celtic fans were ejected.

A spokesman said: “It was a rowdy Celtic support in the stadium.

“Coins were thrown onto the pitch and, bizarrely, a number of conkers landed on the grass.

“The referee will be making a report and police are making further inquiries.”

However, after Neil Lennon’s face-to-face confrontation with fourth-official John McKendrick in the aftermath of McDonald’s decision, which led to the ref being called over to speak to Lennon, it is understood no further action will be taken against the manager.

I like the way that when Tims start their missile throwing (not uncommon) - the media have to then provide numerous examples of other clubs doing similar - deflection of the event yesterday - plain as day.

If it were us do you honestly think that the media would have used other examples ? Nah, me either - would have just been big bad Rangers fans.

I like the way that when Tims start their missile throwing (not uncommon) - the media have to then provide numerous examples of other clubs doing similar - deflection of the event yesterday - plain as day.

If it were us do you honestly think that the media would have used other examples ? Nah, me either - would have just been big bad Rangers fans.

If it had been only coins, I doubt any similar examples would have been used. But because it was unusual items like conkers, past comparisons were made.

Happens in the media all the time. Like when you see an incident on MOTD which is unusual, they often trowl the archives to see if anything similar happened before.