KYLE LAFFERTY-I Couldn't Sign For Them

KYLE LAFFERTY has lifted the lid on his secret signing talks with Celtic - and revealed he told Gordon Strachan he could NEVER join them.

The Rangers striker snubbed the Hoops in July 2008 when the Parkhead side looked favourites to sign him.

Instead Lafferty joined boyhood heroes Rangers from Burnley and he said: "Gordon Strachan really wanted me and I think there were two or three transfer windows where he tried to sign me.

"But once I heard Rangers wanted me too my mind was made up instantly.

"I had to be honest with Gordon. I didn't want to tag him along. I thought it was the best way to be.

"I didn't want to tell Gordon I wanted to play for Celtic knowing deep down that I didn't.

"My heart wouldn't have been in it if I'd gone to Celtic.

"So I had to be straight with Gordon.

"I respect him as a manager and I genuinely appreciated his interest in me.

"But it was an easy choice for me to join Rangers - and it's been the right choice.

"Gordon thanked me for being honest with him. I think he's a nice guy and he's someone I regard as a top manager."

Lafferty had to play a waiting game before Gers boss Walter Smith was given the go-ahead to open talks with the Northern Ireland striker.

He said: "Celtic made a few offers for me at the same time as Rangers. I think there was a bit of a bidding war.

"But deep down I knew where I really wanted to go. Being a Rangers fan I didn't want to go to the other side of the city.

"Signing for Rangers was the realisation of a boyhood dream and it's been fantastic to have been a part of two title-winning teams."

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3191687/I-could-not-be-a-Celt.html#ixzz133rAxsM3