Youth talent delights Rangers coach Jim Sinclair

Jim Sinclair believes there are more young players waiting in the wings capable of following Kyle Hutton and Gregg Wylde into Rangers' first team.

Hutton's first start was against Man Utd in the Champions League, while Wylde has been a regular off the bench.

"I am delighted that so many kids are getting the opportunity to play," said Rangers' academy director, Sinclair.

"And I genuinely feel there are others who can contribute as the weeks and months go on."

Rangers manager Walter Smith's hand has been forced by a debt burden that has limited his manoeuvres in the transfer market - and by a lengthy list of injuries to key players.

"Whether or not it is the circumstances around the club at the moment, which are not particularly healthy as we are all aware financially, they are getting an opportunity," said Sinclair.

Just standing there next to the Manchester United players and the music, it was a great feeling

Rangers midfielder Kyle Hutton

"But getting an opportunity is one thing. It's being able to take it and hopefully they are equipped to do so - and I think they are.

"We are really pleased at the chances and opportunities the manager has seen fit to give these young boys."

Central defender Danny Wilson became a first-team regular last season aged 18 but refused a new contract and was sold to Liverpool in the summer, since when he has been in the reserves at Anfield.

Forward John Fleck made his debut aged 16 in January 2008 but has yet to establish himself as a regular starter, but Sinclair believes that Smith will ensure that defender Wylde and midfielder Hutton do not get carried away by their new-found status.

"I think the manager deals with that very well," said the youth boss. "He has a good feel for things and when to take the pressure off and have responsibility.

"I think there are enough senior players in the squad to make sure that these lads are not asked too much of and also handle it properly."

Sinclair was speaking at the launch of the Community Cashback Initiative, which offers all registered youth teams the opportunity to raise money for their clubs and access to reduced-price match tickets for Rangers' home league games.

He was delighted to be able to put money back into grassroots football and, when asked about the standard of young Scottish players, remarked: "I do think there are too many people working too hard at youth development for us not to see some recovery."

Hutton was given his chance after Kyle Lafferty fell and broke a finger while larking about with Wylde as they came off the team bus on the day of last week's Group D game at Ibrox.

Sinclair joy at young Gers' success

Fellow 19-year-old Wylde recalled: "It was just a wee incident coming off the bus and it was his fault, so he can't complain too much.

"I was just happy for Kyle (Hutton), but after the incident I was bit scared about what the gaffer was going to say.

"I didn't think at the start of the season I would have been involved throughout with the first team and hopefully I can get more games.

"Kyle playing against Manchester United and a few others being involved in the first-team just shows that the gaffer's got belief in the young ones."

Hutton joked that he would have to give Wylde "a pat on the back" and himself appeared to take playing against Sir Alex Ferguson's side in his stride.

"It was absolutely great getting a start, particularly in the Champions League against Manchester United," he said.

"Just standing there next to the Manchester United players and the music, it was a great feeling. Obviously, after that, the roar of the crowd is just fantastic.

"I will never forget it, but nothing has changed. I will just keep doing what I have been doing and hopefully I will get another chance.

"It is all down to me to see if I can take those chances and, who knows, maybe I can try to cement my place."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/r/rangers/9244416.stm

said at the time fleck came through that he would disappear into obscurity under smith and i expect hutton and wylde to do the same. they simply wont get the game time to progress. i have never known a player to get any better sitting in the dugout.