Craig Whyte: I want Walter on the Board

McCoist is the cheap option - simple.

However, he's had 3 years now under Smith so if he's not ready for such a job next summer, he never will be.

It'll actually be 4 and a half seasons served under Walter at Ibrox come the end of this season Frankie. Add to that his stint under Walter with the national side which I think Walter said today was 3 years (?) and it seems to me that he's actually got plenty experience despite never having managed a club himself.

Walter Smith will not accept any footballing role under a new Rangers owner and hopes Ally McCoist is allowed to succeed him as manager.

Scottish businessman Craig Whyte is bidding to buy out Sir David Murray and take control of the Ibrox club.

Smith, 62, has made it clear that he will not be dissuaded from his intention to step down in May.

And the club had planned for Smith to hand the reins over to his assistants McCoist and Kenny McDowall.

"I have stated publicly that I would like that to happen," Smith told BBC Scotland.

"When Sir David Murray asked me to come back, it was with the intention of staying for a couple of years. I didn't think I'd still be here four-and-a-half years later.

"It's natural, from my point of view, that Alistair would get the opportunity to take over. I hope that is the case.

"Alistair is more than ready to take over. He knows exactly what is required."

McCoist was as a prolific striker during Smith's first managerial stint at Ibrox and served as assistant during Smith's three-year tenure as Scotland boss before the pair returned to Ibrox in January 2007.

That partnership is sure to break up at the end of the season, with Smith ruling out the possibility of staying on as a director of football.

"It certainly wouldn't be in any sort of footballing position," Smith said when asked if he could be persuaded to continue his involvement at Ibrox. "I wouldn't do that.

"Whatever opportunities come my way, we'll just have to wait and see."

Whyte and Murray are understood to be in broad agreement over the general terms of the takeover but no formal offer has been made yet.

A new owner may, of course, have fresh ideas about how the team is run.

But McCoist will not allow the takeover talks to distract him from his dreams of becoming the next manager of the club.

"I am only concerned that the takeover, if and when it comes, is successful for Rangers Football Club," explained Smith's assistant. "That's what I have said all along.

"I'm damned tooting if I was buying Rangers Football Club, I would want my own people running it.

"If that's the case you keep your fingers crossed that you are the person they want to run it. That's the way it is.

"But the most important thing is the football club, it always has been and always will be.

"My only concern is that we do get financial backing and the club can move forward."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/r/rangers/9260639.stm

It'll actually be 4 and a half seasons served under Walter at Ibrox come the end of this season Frankie. Add to that his stint under Walter with the national side which I think Walter said today was 3 years (?) and it seems to me that he's actually got plenty experience despite never having managed a club himself.

Aye, just because he is the cheap option, doesn't necessarily mean he's the wrong option.

Two good examples of cheap options with limited managerial experience:

1) Walter Smith

2) Pep Guardiola.

McCoist has more experience as a coach/ assitant than pep did before getting the Barca job (he spent 1 year coaching their B team). And his promotion to the top job would be similar to Smith's.

(And yes Guardiola played at a better level, but we are talking coachin/managerial experience here. The best players dont necessarily make the best managers).

Which is another way of confirming he's got zero experience as a manager.

Aye, just because he is the cheap option, doesn't necessarily mean he's the wrong option.

1) Walter Smith

2) Pep Guardiola.

McCoist has more experience as a coach/ assitant than pep did before getting the Barca job (he spent 1 year coaching their B team). And his promotion to the top job would be similar to Smith's.

(And yes Guardiola played at a better level, but we are talking coachin/managerial experience here. The best players dont necessarily make the best managers).

Thee's no reason why McCoist can't follow in the footsteps of those other inexperienced Rangers Managers .... such as Walter Smith, Graeme Souness, Scot Symon, Bill Struth and William Wilton. However, neither does lack of experience come as a commendation. The bottom line is that, whatever any of us think right now, we'll only know how good he is when his time is over and we can look back on his achievements - the winners are only ever seen at the finishing line, never when the gun goes off.

They all know football. I'm looking for unquestionable commitment to the cause, good communication skills, total leadership, and someone who will stop apologising at every opportunity. Is that McCoist?

Thee's no reason why McCoist can't follow in the footsteps of those other inexperienced Rangers Managers .... such as Walter Smith, Graeme Souness, Scot Symon, Bill Struth and William Wilton. However, neither does lack of experience come as a commendation. The bottom line is that, whatever any of us think right now, we'll only know how good he is when his time is over and we can look back on his achievements - the winners are only ever seen at the finishing line, never when the gun goes off.

Agreed, just seemed some were preparing themselves for the worst before it's even begun.

Another thing to look at is the receptions Eck and PLG received. Whilst McLeish was hit and miss (more the former), no one expected much from the cheap option. Whilst everyone expected big things from PLG. Strange how those two played out.

Which is another way of confirming he's got zero experience as a manager.

I'll take McCoist without hesitation given that he's been Walter's Assistant for so long. There's very few people I'd rather have taking over from Walter and I'll take McCoist before an experienced but no-speaky-da-lingo cabbage any day. Most people were pretty enthused about the prospect of bringing in our last foreign manager, but he arrived with a translator and a bunch of Froggies to help him do his job here. Total shambles.

McCoist isn't just passionate about football, he's passionate about Rangers, knows Scottish football inside out & I do think he'll do a good job if he gets the chance. Like you say, time will tell.

1) Walter Smith

2) Pep Guardiola.

In Europe for every Guardiola there's 20 Roy Keanes, Zolas, Southgates etc...

So many good former players crash and burn in the UK getting big jobs too early. In McCoist's case though he has a fair bit of coaching experience here. Honestly I don't see him being a huge success and long term would like to see us back as a big club playing good football coaching by someone who can make a dent in Europe. Realistically? We'll take whatever we get and no top manager would go near us.

Edited by Totti