They sent me bullets and vowed I�d be killed by the IRA

RANGERS fans used to have shirts with Fernando Ricksen written on the back.

Other people had bullets with his name on them.

That was life in the Old Firm for former Rangers star Ricksen.

Some players love it, thriving on the firecracker atmosphere of the Glasgow derby.

Ricksen, though, hated the poison that swallowed up his life on and off the park.

The Glasgow goldfish bowl bubbled with bile and pushed him over the edge towards alcoholism.

Just days before the next showdown between Rangers and Celtic, Ricksen opened his heart to SunSport in an explosive interview.

After two years out of the game, Ricksen is back playing with Dutch side Fortuna Sittard.

With his colourful past the midfielder is a prime candidate for abuse from fans. But after death threats and attacks in the street, Ricksen insists NOTHING could be worse than the torture he endured in Glasgow.

He said: "I have played in Scotland with Rangers numerous times against Celtic. There are 80,000 football fanatics one metre from me at these games.

"What do you think the fans are saying to me? That I'm a lovely boy?

"I've had hate letters sent to me with bullets in them. I'd messages telling me bullets were sent to the IRA so they could kill me. People phoned my son threatening to sort him out and beat him up at school. Supporters have physically and verbally threatened me on the field.

"My wife was abused in the street by them, they spat in my face while we were out shopping.

"So do you really think that it interests me what a small group of Dutch fans chant? Not one bit."

No player deserves the abuse hurled at Ricksen during his six-year stay in Scotland.

But the man who was capped 12 times for his country admits he didn't do himself any favours.

He confessed: "During my time in Glasgow my faults were getting worse all the time.

"It may sound crazy but unconsciously maybe I was creating another situation so in the process I'd learn how to become better.

"It was as if I was continually searching for clarification and insight. Playing football saved me. It was my outlet valve.

Advertisement

Quantcast

"Unfortunately it was replaced by alcohol. I don't have any regrets for what happened but I'd do it completely differently now.

"I made some very big mistakes and that's inexcusable. Like when I was caught drink-driving or having fights with my team-mates.

"When you're a footballer you have to be a role model. I realise that now. I should have been more like Dennis Bergkamp, anonymous and living a quiet life.

"Alcohol was the cause of a lot of problems in my life. I've made loads of mistakes but thanks to those bad experiences I'm in a better place. I'm content."

Despite a thirst for the drink that forced him into rehab, Ricksen insists he wasn't the hellraiser he was made out to be.

He claimed: "I am an alcoholic but in Scotland you're one if you drink a glass of wine.

"When you have that sort of reputation people keep talking and writing about it.

"In Holland, and certainly in the UK, everyone in football drinks. The problem is when you have someone like me who doesn't give a s*** what other people think.

"That causes trouble. I don't deny I had a problem but it wasn't as bad as people make out."

Despite the boozing and bad-boy image, Ricksen doesn't want to be remembered for the wild nights out and infamous bust-ups.

He wants people to look beyond the rap sheet - and take a look at his roll of honour instead.

He said: "At Rangers I won seven trophies. At Zenit I won the championship, the UEFA Cup and the European Super Cup. I played for Holland 12 times.

"So in that context the true football lover won't forget how I played and what I achieved.

"I am portrayed as a nutter, a sensation seeker. If they really think that I suppose it doesn't concern me.

"The people who really know me know that I'm a good person."

After his self-imposed exile from football Ricksen finally fell back in love with the sport.

But he insists the game he loves is still polluted with low-lifes and back-stabbers looking to do nothing more than make money.

He claimed: "I'm a lover of the game but nowadays it's not about the football any more, it's all about marketing, business, betting and other macho sideshows.

"Quality isn't a deciding factor. Everyday football is a shady charade, filled with deception - and lying has become normal practice."

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3321599/They-sent-me-bullets-and-vowed-Id-be-killed-by-the-IRA.html#ixzz19USLfCgF

.................... but, but,............... ah mean, ........................... ra Sellik supporters ur ra greatest fans in ra world, an'at, kno'.

Oh, and just because Ricksen received rounds with an accompanying threat from PIRA, does NOT mean they were sent by Sellik supporters. Copyright Chico Young.

To be honest reading over the whole piece he is showing the traits of an alcoholic. Blame everyone except myself.

Of course it is terrible if these things did happen to him but it seems to me he is also looking for every excuse to blame somebody else for his shortcomings.

How did he bring it on himself? What a load of nonsense.

Considering what Boruc and Lennon got away with in terms of causing trouble on the pitch...

By his actions on the pitch. He stuck a big bullseye on his back himself after his kick at Young up at Pittodrie then saying the player needed "strightened out" and being sent off at Parkhead for two stupid tackles, He was a brainless bloke who thought he was something he quite clearly wasn't. One good season for Rangers doesn't persuade me otherwise.

My dislike of Ricksen is probably similar to your dislike of McCulloch.

Edited by Gazza_8