Are Hearts genuine title contenders?

Or will they fade as the heat turns up toward the end of the season?

Based on their form over the last 10 games or so, you might be persuaded to take a punt on them but I am not convinced.

I felt their tactics against us were effective but unlikely to have the same effect in our next meeting. They don't seem to have any decent back up strikers with Kyle injured and whilst they are filling the gap at the moment, I doubt it will continue for the rest of the season.

Now, what might make be re-consider is if Mad Vlad was to dig some money out of his Ukio Bankas coffers and splash it on a couple of big signings. Say, �£1m on the boy Eremenko on loan at Killie, and a striker in the same price bracket. Now that would be a really good statement of intent because we wont spend anything like that.

Since when has he ever spent 6 figures + on quality players?

They will only be genuine title contenders if the old firm allow them to be. Hearts are mediocre but the old firm aren't much better at the moment.

I'd be very surprised if Hearts manage to collect enough points to still be in contention come the last few games of the season. They're doing well at the moment, but they won't keep it up. Their away record is great so far, but that will probably change for the worse. Their home record isn't very good at all and that's something that's extremely important for any title winning team. 12 games at home so far - won 6, drawn 3 and lost 3. Not exactly what you'd call title winning stats. They might only be 2 points behind us, but we've got a game in hand over them and as it stands at the moment, they've played 2 more home games than us just like Celtic have. The only way I could see Hearts having a chance is if our season turns to shit and Celtic's season does the same.

Since when has he ever spent 6 figures + on quality players?

They will only be genuine title contenders if the old firm allow them to be. Hearts are mediocre but the old firm aren't much better at the moment.

Thats what I mean, if he were to break with tradition he would invest now they might stand a chance of pushing on and being contenders. Vlad's previous form when they have been performing well saw them sell players or sack their manager.

I don't really consider them contenders. They are on a purple patch and that is sure to be on the slide very shortly, they were lucky against us, one shot one goal. On another day they would have lost by 3 or 4, we just couldn't beat their keeper. Also they were jammy against Kilmarnock looked like a foul on the Killie player leading up to their goal.

@ Zappa unfortunately our home form this season has been really poor losing 2 games at home last season was so much better at home. Our away form this season has been quite good barring that loss at the weekend.

@ Zappa unfortunately our home form this season has been really poor losing 2 games at home last season was so much better at home.

Yeah, it's not great, but it's better than Hearts have done. We've picked up 22 points at home to their 21, but they've played 12 home games to our 10. So far Hearts have dropped 15 points at home while we've only dropped 8. Celtic have dropped 9 points at home, so we can still potentially finish the season with the best home record in the league.

Edited by Zappa

It's catch 22 with the JT's tomorrow. I'd like to see them go to the Piggery and win as always do, but it keeps them on our tails. I can't see them lasting the pace either but I wish someone would halt the run they are on(after tomorrow!!)

It's catch 22 with the JT's tomorrow. I'd like to see them go to the Piggery and win as always do, but it keeps them on our tails. I can't see them lasting the pace either but I wish someone would halt the run they are on(after tomorrow!!)

Would be nice if they beat Celtic tomorrow, but I think the ideal result would be a draw so that they both drop 2 points.

Would be nice if they beat Celtic tomorrow, but I think the ideal result would be a draw so that they both drop 2 points.

Aye as long as we win mate, thats the most important thing. We cant really lose out of the result at P'head

28 points out of 30 is certainly put them on the road to be in it but the season is from Aug to May yet their run has been from around Oct to Jan. So they would need to prove they can keep it up for the rest of the season and yes they will be contenders.

Tonight will say a lot, Im sure they would take a draw at Parkhead but they are probably capable of winning.

They have always flurrted with a chance of challenging in 1998 and 2006 but seemed to get stage fright so I expect them to drop points at places like Kilmarnock and Hamilton.