Transfer window closed: Your preferred first XI

OK then gentlemen - the window has shut again for another season and we've managed to keep the bulk of our squad together for our SPL title challenge.

To that end, what would now be your preferred first XI? Do we stick with the experience of Weir and McCulloch or do we sacrifice their influence for the freshness of youth?

Post your preferred first XI now!

:am:

:sw: :mb: :dw: :sp:

:ehd: :sd: :me: :vw:

:sn: :nj:

Yummy!

:cool:

I would be tempted to swap Diouf with Naismith Frankie as I think Naismith is at his most productive when getting ahead of the strikers from deep.

I would definitely drop McCulloch but not sure if I would do it in favour of Edu or Ness - either would be more than acceptable to me. The one thing that can definnitely be said about your line up is that it is an attack-minded one. All of the front 6 are keen enough to get into the final 3rd and, with Weiss, Diouf and Naismith, plenty of flair there too.

I like our options. The only fear that I still have is central defence. Much as though we brought Bartley in on loan I fear he will rarely be used and, even then, only in a true emergency. Which means we will have to rely on the dwindling Sir David of Weir.

The one good (or bad) thing about our squad is that many players are versatile enough to play across the pitch.

As such, while I've posted that team as a 4-4-2; in real terms it is probably more of a 4-5-1 with Naismith, Diouf and Weiss all interchanging their roles and all slightly behind Jelavic for the most part.

That leaves two holding players for the manager to pick and while Davis has been poor, Edu unreliable fitness wise, Ness inexperienced and McCulloch struggling to last 90mins, we still have good variety and depth for the central roles.

Defensively we've not been great this season so I'd hope Bartley plays his part and with so many games coming up, I'm certain he will.

For a 4-4-2 I would probably drop Davis, play Ness and Edu in the middle and Naismith and Weiss on the flanks. A 4 man midfield containing Diouf, Weiss and Davis would lose the midfield battle against any half decent team. Even a 4-4-2 with two attacking wide men can be a risk if the opposition plays three central midfielders, which is where Davis can be useful on the right as he can tuck in. Diouf and Jelavic would be my attackers

Ideally I'd like to see us playing 4-5-1/4-3-3 and pretty much keeping the same team (rotating where necessary) in Europe an the SPL. But I've been saying that for years so I'll keep dreaming. I feel Smith can randomly change formation too often and it leads to confusion sometimes. The beauty of 4-5-1/4-3-3 is it can be a very attacking or contained formation depending on the opposition. The best sides rarely change formation. Maybe we would play good football if we had a better sense of balance in our team.

A midfield trio of Ness, Edu and Davis with Naismith and Diouf/Weiss supporting Jelavic would be my ideal choice

Edited by Totti

OK then gentlemen - the window has shut again for another season and we've managed to keep the bulk of our squad together for our SPL title challenge.

To that end, what would now be your preferred first XI? Do we stick with the experience of Weir and McCulloch or do we sacrifice their influence for the freshness of youth?

Post your preferred first XI now!

:am:

:sw: :mb: :dw: :sp:

:ehd: :sd: :me: :vw:

:sn: :nj:

Yummy!

:cool:

At least we have options

At least we have options

We do and our team actually looks quite good on paper. We find ourselves once again in the position where we're a couple of players short of having a really good side yet a couple of players away from having a really poor one. A crisis is never far from Ibrox...

Tie people down on long contracts and get some solidarity please, Rangers.

FFS for the last time Weiss IS A RIGHT SIDED PLAYER. Even the fans are at it now.

Calm down.

It's just a paper formation - Weiss and Naismith regularly swap positions throughout most games; from each wing and/or a more attacking central role.

I have long argued that it is better to have naturally left footed players on the right and vice versa , they,ve been doing it for years on the continent , much better when cutting inside , it's only here that we still hark on about getti ng to the bye line and crossing for the big striker , those days are long gone