Transfer window closed: Your preferred first XI

OK then gentlemen - the window has shut again for another season and we've managed to keep the bulk of our squad together for our SPL title challenge.

To that end, what would now be your preferred first XI? Do we stick with the experience of Weir and McCulloch or do we sacrifice their influence for the freshness of youth?

Cant beat a 'pick XI' players thread especially with a beer in hand to cure a hangover (its Chinese New Year so might as well celebrate).

The team would depend on whether its XI on current form or taking the probable best "on their day" XI. WS seems to prefer the latter and relies on the likes of Davis and McCulloch to perform every week and rather than drop them which can do them good he will still play them.

Im hoping Bartley could be a success but until Ive seen him I cant include him. With everyone fit Id go:

:am:

:kb::mb::dw::sp:

:vw::sd::me::sn:

:ehd::nj:

or tempted to go back to my old favourite 3-5-2:

:am:

:mb::dw::sp:

:vw::sd::me::jn::sn:

:ehd::nj:

Gribz in a 3-5-2 your defenders have to have pace. Davie Weir in a 3-5-2 would be like a whale in Kelvingrove park duck pond. Your 4-4-2 looks good but you really need to get over your 3-5-2 fetish, Martin O'Neil tried it and his team got humped more often than not.

Was a serious question. Why is he a right winger ? Because he is right footed ? There are more players these days who play on the "wrong" wing as it makes them stronger when they cut inside.

Arjen Robben. :thup:

I still say if 3-5-2 and any formation for that matter (except Leveins 4-6-0) can work if you have the right players. Some 4-4-2s back four is full of 4 centre halfs, all your then doing is taking 1 away and putting in an extra bit of creativity in the midfield. You have to rely on your wide men to get back a but though and weiss and naismith wouldnt be the best at that.

I'm coming round to the notion that maybe Davis needs to be dropped and Diouf gives us that opportunity. However, maybe he could improve by moving inside - although that didn't do much for his form earlier in the season. Or perhaps he might play better either with Diouf in the team or from the competition for his place. Who knows?

I like having the option as Davis is a difficult player to replace considering our squad before the transfer window. If we drop him, it could allow Ness to stay in the team, which considering his good form, would be an attractive proposition. McCulloch will soon be suspended, so it's just as well Edu has come into some belated form.

With Diouf's lowish goal return, I think I'd prefer to play him on the right rather than up front - where we have a lot more options.

While Jelavic is injured, it might be a good time to try out Healy up front, but that's a really crucial position to test a man who doesn't seem to have been on form for some time. The problem at the moment is that we have so many must-win games coming up.

It's all very well having 3 games in hand, but unless we convert them all into wins, we're going to fall into a true second place. I'm not comfortable with the 8pt deficit and just hope our players can cope with the pressure.

I would leave the back 5 alone for now although a lot of people think Weir needs a rest. I doubt whether he'll volunteer for one, and so Walter will be loath to drop his captain if he's adamant he wants to play.

There's a lot of permutations for up front and left wing and I'm not sure who I would go with. I don't think Weiss is the player to play from the start against Hearts and Celtic, and Lafferty's not going to be effective on the wing in those games.

Jellavic would be my number one choice by a mile as striker but if he's injured that really gives us a dilemma. Naismith is a definite first pick even if his form's not that great so the question is whether to put him on the left or as a supporting forward.

I would leave the back 5 alone for now although a lot of people think Weir needs a rest. I doubt whether he'll volunteer for one, and so Walter will be loath to drop his captain if he's adamant he wants to play.

This drives me nuts. Players shouldn't be able to decide whether they play or not. The manager should be able to freely rotate the squad without any of the players, (even the captain!), having a say in the matter and a good squad of players should all appreciate this and not be adamant that they want to play when they know they could do with a break and allow someone else to get a chance. Players shouldn't be able to influence team sheets and decide whether the team is better or worse without them. It's different when someone is obviously injured or ill, but players playing through injury and periods of not being at their best just so that they don't get dropped and miss games is pure selfishness. Even a small squad like ours can cope with some rotation and in fact would be better for it because players would get rested and there would be more competition for starting places which would improve individual effort and performances.