Bougherra in the holding role

Simple question, do you think it would work? It's something I'd be willing to try if we had more options in central defence.

At times he's the most creative player in our team and our midfield woefully lacks a good physical player.

There's also the fact that McCulloch is out for the season (like him or hate him) and Maurice Edu is neither a holding player nor any good at playing football.

I'd be tempted to have a radical shakeup and play Papac and Bartley at centre back with Bougherra in front protecting them. Ness and Hutton in the central are with Diouf and Naismith supporting Jelavic. We shouldn't be afraid of progressive change and surely that is worth trying against a shite SPL team. Weir is finished, Bougherra looks better in advanced areas than defensively, Bartley is worth a shot and Papac has always impressed me at centre back.

Lennon outperformed our midfield with 10 men and appears to have Walter's card marked. Between now and the end of the season, we need to think how we are going to win the midfield battle. We're unlikely to do it through ball retention, technique and intelligent passing, that's for sure.

Edited by Totti

Not everyone will agree, but with Jig out I think Jamie Ness is our best option for the holding role. He's a hard worker, he's tall, strong, reads the game well, has a good range of passing ability. I think Bougherra could play the holding role if we were pushed for options there, but I doubt he'd be played in that role unless we were struggling with injuries and/or suspensions.

If we had more options in central defence and Bougherra was going to play elsewhere I'd rather see him moved to right back because he'd be better than any of our other right back options. The way he likes to bomb forward would be ideally suited to playing as a full back and I've said that many many times since we signed him.

I'm not shooting this down because myself and Totti have disagreed on one or two things recently, I'm shooting it down because Walter Smith doesn't try radical alterations in his squad unless absolutely forced to. Naismith in midfield is one of the few examples where he was forced to play someone utterly out of position.

Bougherra will stay in central defence no matter what happens with the squad as Walter is too stubborn to try new things. And tbf why would he play him in the holding role when we have Edu and Ness perfectly adept there?

Danny - Edu is shit and Ness isn't a holding midfielder. I'm not sure what Edu is. I think he should have taken up another sport because he's in the wrong one.

I hope you see the irony of this. You've just started a thread about putting a defender in a holding midfield role, overlooking the fact he isn't one, then shoot down the idea of a CM in the holding role (which he's done well in so far frankly). Do you see the paradox?

As for Edu being shit and in the wrong sport, I think you're deliberately playing devil's advocate to provoke replies.

I hope you see the irony of this. You've just started a thread about putting a defender in a holding midfield role, overlooking the fact he isn't one, then shoot down the idea of a CM in the holding role (which he's done well in so far frankly). Do you see the paradox?

As for Edu being shit and in the wrong sport, I think you're deliberately playing devil's advocate to provoke replies.

Edu is proven to be shit in midfield, Bougherra is yet to have a chance.

Ball playing centre backs can often make good holding midfielders.