Food for thought? [Xavi interview]

PLG has since proven to be a poor manager.

Foreign countries are far ahead of us in coaching methods and it's the route I'd like to see us go down.

Whilst I agree with this it is frustrating to have to do so.

With the resources at our disposal these days it really should not take a great deal to understand how other clubs and nations use their coaching methods. I was at a coaching clinic this past week where half a dozen A badge coaches came to Bermuda from Holland - cost.... FREE. And I am 3500 miles away from the UK. The Dutch philosophy is pretty simple, and pete might be able to confirm, but everyone is ecpected to follow very similar coaching styles with 4-3-3 being the preferred formation (being simplistic).

The manner in which they coach is just logical - and not a great deal of physical training is involved either until you hit 13 or 14 yrs old. They try to improve on small aspects of the game but by making the kids think it is a game.

I saw one drill where they played 6 vs 2 - I thought "fuck, those kids who are short-handed will stop trying quickly when they realise getting the ball is difficult" - but in one fell swoop these coaches had every single player looking for the ball. Why ? Because the simple premise was that the team with just two players had to simply get the ball (so defend) and then score in either goal. The team with 6 could only score a point by making 7 passes without the short-sided team touching it. Simple, but effective, and also teaching defending, attacking (if short sided team score) and ball retention, all within one game.

Do you see much of that in Scotland ?

It's not just Scotland, it's the whole of the UK. If anything there's been more good Scottish managers than English in recent times (Ferguson, Moyes, Dalglish etc)

It's not just our philosophy and attitude that;s wrong but the big European nations have way more qualified coaches too.

• Only 2,769 English coaches hold Uefa's B, A and Pro badges

• Spain has 23,995, Italy 29,420 and Germany 34,790

No wonder Germany hammered England

I would like to see us try another foreign manager on a year or so contract. If it doesn't work fine move on. Other smaller clubs in Europe with little to spend have attracted very good managers before. I can't really handle more of the same under Ally, we clearly need a shake up. Celtic are technically so superior to us now and that is not acceptable.

Edited by Totti

i think Zappa also put a stat up that most Spanish coaches with A badges are coaching young kids whilst all of England's are coaching adults - talk about getting it the wrong way round.... the better coaches should be teaching young kids when they are ripe for learning

The Scottish attitude is just so wrong. Even just reading Rangers forums online - people seem more concerned about being out muscled than out performed. Everybody seems to think the solution to beating Celtic is we need to kick them off the park. FFS Beat them by intelligence not power

Celtic severely out passed and out classed us last weekend and it makes me cringe when I see all these angry posts declaring we need to 'get stuck in tae em' SIGH

Whilst I agree with this it is frustrating to have to do so.

With the resources at our disposal these days it really should not take a great deal to understand how other clubs and nations use their coaching methods. I was at a coaching clinic this past week where half a dozen A badge coaches came to Bermuda from Holland - cost.... FREE. And I am 3500 miles away from the UK. The Dutch philosophy is pretty simple, and pete might be able to confirm, but everyone is ecpected to follow very similar coaching styles with 4-3-3 being the preferred formation (being simplistic).

The manner in which they coach is just logical - and not a great deal of physical training is involved either until you hit 13 or 14 yrs old. They try to improve on small aspects of the game but by making the kids think it is a game.

I saw one drill where they played 6 vs 2 - I thought "fuck, those kids who are short-handed will stop trying quickly when they realise getting the ball is difficult" - but in one fell swoop these coaches had every single player looking for the ball. Why ? Because the simple premise was that the team with just two players had to simply get the ball (so defend) and then score in either goal. The team with 6 could only score a point by making 7 passes without the short-sided team touching it. Simple, but effective, and also teaching defending, attacking (if short sided team score) and ball retention, all within one game.

Do you see much of that in Scotland ?

The whole Dutch youth training system uses the Coerver coaching method. I downloaded the dvd's on a torrent on my old computer so they are available on torrent sites and really worth looking at if you are interested in youth training.

http://dictionary.sensagent.com/coerver+method/en-en/

One training i did when i was training the youth was having 4 attackers go on 2 defenders. I released the attackers from the half way line The defenders had to try and hold up the attackers until they got help from another 2 players which i released from the half way line 10 seconds after the attackers had reached the defenders who were just in front of the box. It taught the defenders to position themselves to hold up and not to dive in. The attackers also knew they only had a number of seconds before help arrived.

Thanks for that Pete.

They have had coerver out here in Bermuda too. Unfortunately i had the wee fella back home to see a couple of Gers and an Arsenal game so he missed that camp, but have a friend who really liked it !

The Dutch did a good job with them this week. Our U8 team won 12-4, my kid scored twice and only the woodwork prevented his hat trick, plus he showed some neat Ronaldo stepovers. That said, one of his team mates scored 7 !!!

Thanks for that Pete.

They have had coerver out here in Bermuda too. Unfortunately i had the wee fella back home to see a couple of Gers and an Arsenal game so he missed that camp, but have a friend who really liked it !

The Dutch did a good job with them this week. Our U8 team won 12-4, my kid scored twice and only the woodwork prevented his hat trick, plus he showed some neat Ronaldo stepovers. That said, one of his team mates scored 7 !!!

The woodwork does not prevent goals Craig. Players miss the goal and hit the woodwork.;)