Food for thought? [Xavi interview]

FFS guys, can you not at least act grown up and refrain from all the personal insults, to both yourselves and Rangers men - neither WS nor big Eck wanted anything but the best for our club, we can all be assured of that.

Just because it isnt the way some of us would do it doesnt mean you should go hurling insults around.

FFS, grow up.

I reckon Walter Smith is good at what he's good at. On the other hand, like most everyone else in this world, he's quite poor at those aspects of the job where he's got little or no skill and ability. We all know where his strengths and weaknesses lie but our real difficulty is whether to praise his strengths or condemn his weaknesses. Do you thank him for his contribution and achievements or do you pillory him for his failings?

Too many fans can only see one end of the Smith spectrum or the other. Either he's a hero or he's a villain, when in actual fact he's obviously neither. It's always going to be entirely subjective but I see Walter Smith as a manager of strictly average ability who has definitely made his mark on the history of Rangers but who has fallen well short of what could have been.

When he goes I'll thank him genuinely and wish him well ... bit I'll also be relieved at the opportunity his going will provide to address the shortcomings of his time in office. Rangers have not been blessed with good managers since Souness left. We've made do with men of very moderate ability and tried to convince ourselves it was otherwise .... but it wasn't and we mustn't pass up this next opportunity by passing the baton to Mr McCoist.

In my opinion we dont have to polarise ourselves to one chain of thought or the other.

It should be relatively simple - Walter Smith has served us well, valiantly at times in the face of chaos around him. But like every single manager before him, and every single manager after him, he has made mistakes. If he were perfect (and there is no such thing in football management) then we wouldnt be where we are on and off the field.

Some of us forget the position the club was in after the PLG debacle, and just how far we have come (in a competitive sense) since then.

And some of us will try to forget some of his selections, formations and tactics.

But what cant be denied is that he has done a very decent job at Rangers, has won a plethora of trophies in both his stints at the club and, in my opinion, should retire with nothing but well wishes and thanks for the job he has done - imperfect as it has been.

It could have be very, very much worse after PLG departed, but Walter was a wise choice, as his trophy haul has suggested.

But perfect ? Not a chance.

Doesnt mean he shouldnt be due our respect and gratitude for taking on a thankless job.

Since Glasgow doesn't do rumours the word that Sky Sport are chasing him to replace Andy Gray must be true. It's hardly new news.

I wouldn't get your hopes up on Ally McCoist knocking back a chance to manage Rangers. It might depend on how our season pans out though..