New boys Healy and Bartley showed they are settling in well

New boys Healy and Bartley showed they are settling in well at Rangers, says Walter Smith

Feb 13 2011 Sunday Mail

RANGERS boss Walter Smith heaped praise on debut boys Kyle Bartley and David Healy after they caught the eye in the rout of Motherwell.

Youngster Bartley impressed in the centre of midfield while Healy came off the bench to seal the 6-0 win with his first Gers goal.

And boss Smith was thrilled by their instant impact at Ibrox.

He said: "Bartley has played in the centre of defence all season at Sheffield United so it was new for him to play as a midfielder. He handled it well and also showed a capability to get forward.

"Healy looked quite pleased with his goal. He managed to fulfil one of his ambitions by scoring for Rangers. I hope he continues to do so.

"The new signings are integrating well and it was great to see Nikica Jelavic get a hat-trick."

Well boss Stuart McCall was less happy after his Ibrox return turned into a nightmare.

The former Gers star said: "We knew it would be tough and spoke about keeping it tight in the early stages. But we didn't manage that.

"I'll speak to my lads individually, go over a few things with them.

"It was a painful lesson for some of my youngsters but they won't come up against players such as Weiss and Jelavic every week.

"A lot of Rangers' players were on top of their game and we weren't."

Given the amount of games we're going to have to play in the run in, it was hugely important that the new guys hit the ground running, so,

good news on that front. Also, this will hopefully put a bit pressure on under performing regulars to get their act together.

Both did very well.

Bartley was a lot bigger than I expected - looked like some sort of wrestler in the middle of the park. However, he was also quick, decent on the ball and got forward when we could. Looks a real find actually.

As for Healy, well I was extremely underwhelmed by his signing but on that display he could prove me completely wrong. He also looked very sharp, quick and was good on the ball. Unlucky not to score earlier than he did he finally did grab his goal with a composed finish.

Very happy with both of them! :cool:

Given the amount of games we're going to have to play in the run in, it was hugely important that the new guys hit the ground running, so,

good news on that front. Also, this will hopefully put a bit pressure on under performing regulars to get their act together.

Absolutely.

I think guys like Edu, Davis and Whittaker have been in comfort zones this season. Not now with the form of these guys.

Both did very well.

Bartley was a lot bigger than I expected - looked like some sort of wrestler in the middle of the park. However, he was also quick, decent on the ball and got forward when we could. Looks a real find actually.

As for Healy, well I was extremely underwhelmed by his signing but on that display he could prove me completely wrong. He also looked very sharp, quick and was good on the ball. Unlucky not to score earlier than he did he finally did grab his goal with a composed finish.

Very happy with both of them! :cool:

I've only seen the goals from Saturdays game Frankie, did Bartley look as if he could become a bit of an enforcer in the middle of the park? I personally think we're a bit of a soft touch in there sometimes. We could do with a 'hard man'(for want of a better phrase)in there, especially against you know who.

I've only seen the goals from Saturdays game Frankie, did Bartley look as if he could become a bit of an enforcer in the middle of the park? I personally think we're a bit of a soft touch in there sometimes. We could do with a 'hard man'(for want of a better phrase)in there, especially against you know who.

I think enforcer he certainly is,the big guy loves a tackle and he is very intimidating,HUGE,looking guy

I think enforcer he certainly is,the big guy loves a tackle and he is very intimidating,HUGE,looking guy
Good. I hope Walter leaves him in there against the soap dodgers, we can't have that wee talentless turncoat Brown, walking all over us again. :mad:

Mate, he was solid as a rock. Made 3 or 4 huge tackles in the game - one taking out three 'Well players at once which was a bit naughty but good to see. Even Lasley was laughing in the 2nd half and staying away from him and that wee bugger likes it to get tasty.

To be clear, Bartley wasn't dirty at all - just strong, enthusiastic and not afraid to get stuck in. Exactly what we need as neither Edu, Ness or Davis will do that.

Of the pair,Bartley excites me most. It hurts to say it but we were bullied in midfield the last two of games. We need a bit of grit in there. Whether Walter plays him on Sunday or not is another matter but good to see the lad getting off to a good start