SFA chief ready to close door on Old Firm bigots

Published Date: 27 March 2011

By Tom English and Martyn McLaughlin

THE head of the Scottish Football Association has warned that Old Firm games may have to be played behind closed doors if sectarian chanting continues to mar fixtures.

In an interview with Scotland on Sunday, Stewart Regan, the SFA's chief executive, said that while no-one in the game wanted to see fans prevented from attending the most high-profile matches in the Scottish club calendar, such a "doomsday scenario"can't be ruled out.

The controversial step has been proposed by police officials, but Regan is the most senior figure in the Scottish sport to accept it is an option.

Supporters groups have claimed any move to keep fans out of Rangers and Celtic ties would "destroy Scottish football". But Regan conceded it could be the "ultimate sanction" if all else failed.

He said: "People will be honest and I'm sure there will be some soul-searching by us all about what can be done, because I'm conscious that it (sectarian chanting] is becoming more of an issue in recent times. I've been told that it's gathering momentum and it's more prevalent now than it was this time last year.

"I'm determined to do our bit because I don't want it to taint Scottish football and I don't want us to be accused of tolerating it. The ultimate sanction has to be the doomsday scenario of matches being played behind closed doors."

In the aftermath of a fiery Scottish Cup fifth-round replay earlier this month, which led to a confrontation between Rangers assistant manager Ally McCoist and Celtic coach Neil Lennon, and saw three Rangers players red-carded, police warned that fans could be shut out of games.

Les Gray, chairman of the Scottish Police Federation, said the "madness cannot go on" and called for the derby to be played behind closed doors.

But Andy Kerr, president of the Rangers Supporters Assembly, described Old Firm ties as the "lifeblood" of the Scottish game and warned that banning fans would "more or less destroy Scottish football".

However, Regan's decision to contemplate the same step as Gray is likely to cause wider ripples within sporting and political circles, given his standing at the SFA and the fact he is a member of the Joint Action Group convened by the Scottish Government in the wake of a summit held to discuss disorder surrounding Old Firm games.

Recent fixtures have spurred debate over the conduct of players, officials and fans, but attention returned to sectarian chanting after last Sunday's Co-operative Insurance Cup Final.

Although Kenny MacAskill, the justice secretary, described the match as a "great advert for Scottish football", there have been complaints about Rangers supporters singing sectarian songs at Hampden.

The Catholic Church in Scotland said yesterday it intends to study footage of the game to provide evidence to Strathclyde Police of Rangers fans singing anti-Catholic songs, and questioned whether MacAskill's summary of the fixture was "appropriate".

Regan, who grew up in north-east England, said he was not familiar with the alleged offensive chants. He said: "I would have needed somebody to tell me it is one of those unacceptable songs."

But he said he would raise the issue with club officials, the government and police at the next Joint Action Group meeting on Wednesday.

"We need to understand the extent to which our powers can be applied," he added. "Uefa has implemented matches behind closed doors.

"At this stage, we need to discuss and get clarity as to what we can do."

http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/scotland/SFA-chief-ready-to-close.6741076.jp?articlepage=2

To be honest it is only a problem because they are making it a problem. For most people it is just winding others up with a chant. On Monday morning or even after the match we all go back to work with our catholic\Celtic supporting colleagues and friends and laugh about the whole thing. Yes there are people possibly bigots who take things serious but for most it is just a wind up. Will playing a football game behind closed doors help the problem in Scotland? No chance! It is in the nature of man all over the world to be linked to a tribe. Why they think Scotland is different beats me.

To be honest it is only a problem because they are making it a problem. For most people it is just winding others up with a chant. On Monday morning or even after the match we all go back to work with our catholic\Celtic supporting colleagues and friends and laugh about the whole thing. Yes there are people possibly bigots who take things serious but for most it is just a wind up. Will playing a football game behind closed doors help the problem in Scotland? No chance! It is in the nature of man all over the world to be linked to a tribe. Why they think Scotland is different beats me.

Common sense analysis of the issue.

These arseholes, more than the many other arseholes involved in this soap opera, should think hard what Scottish football would be without Rangers and it's fans. They may not like us but they'd be fuck all without us ... maybe they need reminding now and again. If our fans were only a little more aware and committed, a few away game boycotts would stop all f this damned quick. Unfortunately, as a whole, we're as gutless and self-serving as Murray taught us to be. Mugs.