Allan McGregor - contract news

ALLAN McGREGOR has opened talks with Rangers about signing a bumper, new four-year deal.

Allan McGregor is tied to the Ibrox club until 2013, but wants to extend his contract by at least two more years.

McGregor confirmed he has already spoken with chief executive Martin Bain and talks were positive.

During early negotiations McGregor made it clear he sees his long-term future with Rangers despite interest from England and abroad.

Now the Scotland number one is waiting for Bain to come back with a new contract offer that will keep him at Rangers for the best years of his career.

Rangers are in a state of flux at the moment with Craig Whyte's takeover plans dragging on and that affected the speed of McGregor contract renewal plans.

�®

But with the 29 year old player eager to stay and gaffer-in-waiting Ally McCoist desperate for the shotstopper to remain the reliable last line of his defence, there is every chance a deal could be struck.

Despite their financial woes Rangers have managed to find cash to secure existing assets on longer deals.

Stevie Naismith - voted player of the year by fans and his fellow players at an awards dinner on Sunday night - was given a pay hike and a new deal running until 2015 earlier this year.

And youngsters Jamie Ness and Kyle Hutton have also been handed improved contracts.

A must signing for me he is worth about 15 points per season.

First name on the team sheet for me even though a keeper normally is first. McGregor along with an inform Bougherra and Jelavic are the only genuine top players we have at the moment IMO.

Obviously Davie Weir has been top class and still pulls out cracking performances but I cant see him playing on next season.

Davis just hasnt done it this season although has the ability at times.

Ness and Hutton are in the promising boat but need to play more of the same next season.

Weiss and Bartley were terrific but dont belong to us.

Sutton has been quite impressive of late but I'm not sure I fancy him in Rangers blue next season. Certainly not at the expense of Jelavic.

Trust me, I was being facetious given the calibre of our club board... ;)