Are the Arab Trust sectarian?

Given their offence at Rangers fans the other night, perhaps they'd care to explain their position on the following terms they like to use?

1. http://www.facebook.com/arabtrust1909/posts/132549293423506

Rumoured opening day fixtures:- Us v Killie, Accies v Celtic, Jambo h*** v Aberdeen, ICT v Motherwell, h*** v Hibs and St. M v St.j

2. http://www.facebook.com/arabtrust1909/posts/119375364747723

Tina Turner 'The Best' has dropped from the entire top 40, oh well, the h*** didn't quite get the chance to validate their SPL Championship via the charts. With refs like the one yesterday, is it any wonder the h*** won it? Whilst I'm on the subject, really gotta love Reggie Yates and the 'Oh my God, init' way he talks:- ''Tixt in wiv wot you fink''.

3. http://twitter.com/#!/RobertJohnBrown/status/47739676852895744

We owe the 'DIET-h***' a hiding after their gloating last time round......2-1 to United (only because we're knackered!@ 70%)

Hmmmm!

PS: Thanks to jcdgow on Twitter for the info!

Frankie, Its not only their use of the H word but to my knowledge the Arab trust did not comment on Celtics game at Tannadice earlier in the season when Lennons behaviour provoked sectarian chants from the travelling support along with missile throwing. If they are setting themselves up as commentators on visiting fans behaviour then the least we can expect is a balanced view, something they have failed to do in this instance.

It seems like the ideal opporunity for the RST to issue a statement highlighting the arabtrust's hypocrisy for allowing the H word on their own website and trhe use of it by their fans, while also highlighting the continued use by Celtic fans and also the fact that Celtic FC allowed the word to be displayed on a banner wearlier this season.

Seems like an open goal and I'm disappointed that they have remained quiet on the subject.

Was done via some radio station from that part of the country. More to follow from it.

The ArabTrust and Bigotry

Posted on 23/04/2011 by johndcgow| 1 Comment

As those who read these pages know, I have consistently asked for a zero-tolerance approach to sectarianism. Many Rangers fans have disagreed with me on certain points, but the feedback I have received has been overwhelmingly positive.

Rangers fans seem exasperated with the negative stereotypes constantly pushed in the media and elsewhere. The attitude seems to be that whatever you say or do to Rangers fans is fine – they deserve it.

* Forget that when Rangers qualify from a Champions League group at Ibrox – and your overriding memory is your auld Dad’s face beaming proudly at the footballing achievement - you were really at a Nazi Rally.

* Never mind that you are a normal guy looking forward to taking your young family to their first big game – they and you are already labelled a “baying mob“.

* Forget the fact that BBC employees boast about intimidating people on trains, almost certainly including children. “Huns” are “Orange Wankers” so it’s just a laugh.

It’s easy to forget that individuals are not stereotypes and not any different from yourself. This is actually the very essence of anti-sectarianism. Individuals are not a group. The “other” is a person just like you.

However, this is not an easy admission for lots of people. If we are inadequate we almost need to believe “they” are not like us. We are better. Hence it’s always easy to criticise someone else while remaining blameless.

Note that the three examples above from Hugh Keevins, Graham Spiers and Stuart Cosgrove are from men who oppose Rangers fans stereotyping others. Yet when given an open platform do the very same thing to people they have never even met.

On many occasions those who flaunt their moral outrage at the bad behaviour of others, yet turn a blind eye to their own, end up as dangerous as those who are transparent in their moronic behaviour. The latter are easily spotted, but the former hide behind a shield that masks their real thoughts.

This brings me to the statement by the ArabTrust condemning the use of the word Fenian at the recent game at Tannadice. I wish to be clear that I have no problem with anyone who genuinely wishes to fight what they see as sectarianism. (You can read my thoughts on the usage of fenian here.)

However in this instance I find it extremely disturbing that online Arabtrust communications are liberally peppered with the bigoted term “hun” – which is used to describe Protestants/British ethnicity in Scotland and Ireland – when discussing Rangers and Hearts. (See screenshots below)

As Nil By Mouth says:

“Offensive sectarian language is still used in Scotland on a daily basis, with abusive terms such as “Hun” and “Orange bastard” being used negatively against Protestants”

When people write “Kill all Huns” on the streets of Northern Ireland or sing Republican songs with the lyrics like:

Come on out ye British Huns come on out without your guns

Show us how you won your medals up in Derry

When you murdered thirteen men and you’d do the same again

Get on out of here and take your English Border

they don’t mean Rangers fans.

What is more disturbing, is that when this was pointed out, no acknowledgement has been made by the ArabTrust that this was wrong in any way. If anything it seems an irritant.

This actually fits a pattern. People always assume that someone who uses bigoted language is aware their language is bigoted. They almost never do. It should be a red-flag to the ArabTrust that they seem unaware that the same moral judgement they use when outraged that someone is labelled a fenian, should also go to those they label huns.

I want to make it clear. I don’t believe the ArabTrust are run by bigoted people. Far from it. However, zero-tolerance of sectarian language must be for everyone and that includes them too. Far from being shamed, they could do a lot of good by acknowledging that what happened was wrong and lead Scottish Football by example. It would show real anti-sectarianism by actually following the same standards they currently demand from others.

But then is anyone really interested in zero-tolerance and personal responsibility when you can blame the “huns” instead?

http://johndcgow.wordpress.com/2011/04/23/the-arabtrust-and-bigotry/

RST Response to Arabtrust Statement

Saturday, 23 April 2011 19:05

The RST are aware of the statement released by the Arabtrust regarding sectarian singing at Tannadice on Tuesday 19th April.

The RST agree with the Arabtrust that we should work together to eradicate all forms of prejudice in society. However we are disappointed they focussed solely on the Rangers support while ignoring offensive and sectarian singing from the Dundee Utd stands along with objects thrown towards Rangers players.

We are also disappointed the Arabtrust have often used the term "Hun" on their official Facebook and Twitter pages. There is no doubt "Hun" is an offensive sectarian insult as proven in a court of law by Sheriff Iain Peebles and by anti sectarian charity Nil By Mouth.

The RST are working with the relevant authorities on our concerns and we will update our members in due course of any action.

http://www.rangerssupporterstrust.co.uk/rstsite/latest-rst-news/384-rst-response-to-arabtrust-statement