Gers fans just don�t know how big a mess we are in

HE'S looked at the figures and done all the sums.

Ally McCoist doesn't think Rangers will be in trouble if the Craig Whyte takeover falls through. He KNOWS it.

The Ibrox boss-in-waiting has had a long hard look at the club's financial mess.

And he's had to draft up TWO lists of potential signing targets.

One has star quality players he would love to sign if a new owner takes charge.

The other is bargain basement Bosmans other big clubs have tossed aside.

It's a scary situation facing a rookie boss - but McCoist insists it's the reality that can't be ignored.

He said: "It's correct to say it's difficult. I have one list here on my left and another on my right - and one is cheaper than the other.

"I can't move on either list right now and might miss out on players on both lists.

"That's the way it is - it's not an ideal situation but we know that and have to deal with it.

"If the wage bill has to get cut again I have another list.

"If things stay the same I will have to cut quite severely and that's horrendous.

"I'm attempting to say to the fans 'We're in trouble, BIG trouble'.

"If these cuts have to be made then you just have to look at the squad we'll be left with and work out how difficult it will be.

"We will always, always, always strive to be competitive - that's just the nature of our club.

"But it will be very difficult.

"I hate to say that because it might sound as if I'm making excuses before I'm in the job."

McCoist can only hope that the loyal Rangers fans who buy season tickets every year don't opt to keep their money in their pockets - or the situation might get even worse.

But he can understand if they are reluctant to part with their hard-earned cash.

McCoist added: "The fans want to know the product first.

"It's like buying tickets for a concert without knowing who you're going to watch - you just wouldn't do that, would you?

"I'm totally with the fans on where they are coming from on this. I've no doubt they will come out again, but I understand completely why they would like to know the manager's plans and where the club is going first.

"Of course I'd always encourage Rangers fans to support the club and season ticket holders are so important to us it's unbelievable.

"But I would urge them to stay with us.

"I don't think they do realise the extent of things.

"I don't want to sit here and scare them with this and that going to happen, I just want their continued support."

McCoist still hopes Whyte's long-running takeover will be completed by next week - by which time he'll be able to look at Plan A.

That includes new contract offers to Steven Davis, Madjid Bougherra and Allan McGregor.

Ibrox No 1 McGregor in particular has been outstanding with Gers offering him a SIX-YEAR extension to his current deal.

And McCoist is desperate for him to stay, adding: "Allan can be anything he wants to be. It is entirely up to him.

"He can achieve all his footballing dreams here because there is no better place to be successful.

"There might be one or two bigger places, if you are talking Manchester United or clubs like that, but in terms of a place to be when things are going well, there is no better club in the world than here.

"What I am saying is 'Stay here and enjoy your football'.

"We've had top goalies like Chris Woods and Andy Goram. Those two boys were fantastic goalkeepers, but Allan is a fantastic goalkeeper as well, no doubt about it.

"That's the one thing I'd have to say, Rangers have been pretty lucky in the past 20-30 years with some really, really top goalkeepers. It's arguably one of the most important positions in the team. We have been lucky and certainly in my opinion Allan is up there with any we have had.

"He has great focus which is important for any goalkeeper, but especially at a top club.

"I think the one thing about Allan is that he is fantastically dedicated to his job when he goes out on that park and when he trains.

"He is a beast when it comes to training.

"He is one of these boys, a wee bit like Gascoigne, who I think is at home on the training ground and the football park."

As SunSport also revealed this week Vladimir Weiss is desperate to sign a new loan deal from Manchester City.

And McCoist admits: "Vlad is an obvious one because he enjoyed his time here.

"He did well, probably could have played a bit more.

"We are not in a position to spend money but we are in a position where if you have an advantage of having someone who has been here before, you know them and they know you, it would certainly be a plus."

Whatever happens off the park, McCoist plans to hold talks with skipper Davie Weir.

He added: "I haven't spoken to Davie yet but we'll definitely sit down and have a chat.

"I don't know what he'll do, but the most important person in all of this is Davie himself.

"He has to decide what he wants to do.

"The one thing is that Davie has earned his stripes and deserves a couple of weeks away to think about it.

"He might want to stay on, he might want to do coaching after sitting his UEFA badges. No one can grudge him his choice."

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3554139/Gers-fans-just-dont-know-how-big-a-mess-we-are-in.html#ixzz1KtkeTqNR

And McCoist admits: "Vlad is an obvious one because he enjoyed his time here.

"He did well, probably could have played a bit more

Agreed he could have played more. Encouraging to see Ally would be playing the more attacking and natural players.

Agreed he could have played more. Encouraging to see Ally would be playing the more attacking and natural players.

Not necessarily.

All he said was "he could have played more". That doesnt equate to "I would have played him more". Careful now....

I am hoping McCoist brings an attacker's philosophy to the team but also engrained in the "you dont lose goals you dont lose games" mantra of WS. A strong back 4 with fast, skilful, flair, strong midfielders and Jelavic +one other up top.

Exactly. My biggest complaint with our team over the last few years is the distinct lack of movement.

Look at our defence - Whittaker, Weir, Bougherra, Papac - that should be solid enough for any of us.

Look at the midfield - Weiss, Davis, Naismith - all players with flair, skill, vision - there is no reason we should be static with these players in the team. You put one solid, ball-winning midfielder in there (A Stuart McCall would be great... though he was FAR more than just a ball-winner !!) alongside those 3 guys and we have, IMO, the most creative midfield in the country.

Hopefully McCoist will release the shackles on players - obviously they have positions to play but football really is a simple game - a player makes a run forward, someone else covers - or the defence hold up play if/when the ball is lost so that players can get back to assist.