Another 2 who couldn't behave. Fireworks and flutes hardly helped them. Plenty of high profiler OF'rs have stayed out the limelight and been just fine.

To be fair with Gazza he had no idea what he was doing - if you read his biography (I am sure most of us have) he said it was a wind-up from team-mates and he had no idea what mimicking the flute would mean. He was naive. His team-mates, including McCoist, should have known better though.

Peter Lawwell has given the biggest hint yet that Neil Lennon will be invited to continue managing Celtic – no matter what happens in the title run-in.

The Parkhead chief executive has thrown the full weight of the club behind the beleaguered boss after a torrid few months, during which Lennon has had to work against a backdrop of parcel bombs, bullets in the post and, this week, an attack during a game.

The manager’s family have also been severely affected by the events, and Lawwell believes the point has been reached where all right-minded people must unite to say “enough is enough”.

The fears for Lennon’s personal safety are the main concern. But another serious worry is that the 39-year-old – who Lawwell believes has been unjustifiably “demonised” – might feel the aggravation is not worth it, and decide to walk away from the 12-month rolling contract he signed at the start of this season.

Lawwell would be bitterly disappointed if that happened, and is already openly talking in terms of how the club will help Lennon beat the bigots and move on from this point.

The chief executive is in daily contact with the manager and has intimate knowledge of all that he is having to endure.

Lawwell made no attempt to hide his admiration for the way Lennon is handling the situation, and said: “Neil is a remarkable man, his strength of character is incredible.

“He is proud to be the Celtic manager. I think he gets his energy and his strength through his job and through being part of this club and through the energy of the supporters.

“He knows he is not alone. He knows he has got the backing and that gives him the strength to go forward.

“I very much hope events don’t lead him to thinking otherwise but, where I’m sitting, I feel he has the strength of character to take him forward.”

Lawwell is heartened that the rest of the football community is also standing firm behind Lennon. But he knows it is those working closest with the man from Lurgan who have the most important role to play at this difficult time.

He said: “I don’t think the club has ever been more united behind Neil Lennon, and I think the unity and energy that gives us should spur us on.

“The title’s not over yet. Hopefully we can get a bit of luck on Sunday. But, certainly, we’ll be prepared through that unity next year and in subsequent years.”

Lawwell is looking beyond the borders of the club and its trophy ambitions, however, and wants everyone to mark this moment as the point when serious issues rotting the core of our society have to be addressed and challenged.

“Someone has to grasp this problem because the last two or three months have been horrific for Neil and for everyone associated with the club,” said Lawwell.

“Unless someone really and genuinely grasps this problem and finds a solution, then God only knows what will happen. It must stop.

“We’re the only club who has been subjected to these vile and relentless attacks, and somebody has got to ask why. Why is it Celtic, and why is it no-one else, and why is it continuing?

“Clearly, there are societal issues in there that people have to stand up behind. Once you identify that problem, we work together in terms of trying to get a solution. These events are beyond football.”

WHAT THEY SAID...

It is unbelievable really. He is just a football manager trying to do a job. Neil is controversial and sometimes goes over the top and says things, but that is just him. Ultimately, he is a football manager and should be respected for that. There’s just no place for something like that to happen in football.

John Hartson, former Celtic team-mate

Every right-thinking person in Scottish football will be appalled. There’s no place in Scottish football for this kind of behaviour.

Rangers chief executive Martin Bain

I think the important question we have to ask is: ‘Why is Neil Lennon so demonised?’ I have been involved in Scottish football for 30 years and have never known any figure to be so loathed, so demonised.

Former Celtic player Andy Walker

What a disgrace. I’ve never seen anything like that in my entire career. Where the hell was the security?

Celtic midfielder Joe Ledley on Twitter

You have to fear for Neil Lennon now. I think there is a good possibility he might quit as the incident was not a one-off. Former Celtic team-mate Paul Hartley

The media should spend time displaying a show of strength for Neil because he is part of our industry, the football game. He has been unfairly targeted and there hasn’t been enough support.

Kilmarnock caretaker manager Kenny Shiels

What about that chap who attacked Neil Lennon? Not good for Scottish football or the game in general.

Man Utd striker Michael Owen

I am so sorry for Neil Lennon. It is incredible. There are many people who are crazy.

Man City manager Roberto Mancini

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/editor-s-picks/unity-under-fire-will-help-us-in-the-years-to-come-1.1101339

Re Andy Walker's comment.... how about Maurice Johnston. Couldnt go anywhere after signing for us. Just as loathed by THEM. Dont let the truth get in the way of propaganda eh Andy, ya :wanker:

It shouldnt happen, that is true. Absolutely no defending such an attack.

But Lawell is RIGHT. It DOES go beyond football. It goes to the person himself too. One could never, ever condone such an attack - but Lawell also acknowledges that Lennon sometimes "goes over the top, but that is just him". Now Peter.... could you not also consider that this attack was by someone who "just went over the top, that is just him".

See Peter, so long as you allow Neil Lennon's antagonistic behaviour to continue then these incidents are, sadly, likely to re-occur. Neil Lennon is partly culpable because he doesnt know how to conduct himself when in front of the media. Perhaps CFC could get Lennon anger management therapy or provide him with PR schooling. MON has exactly the same type of background as Lennon does yet never suffered anywhere near the abuse and hatred that Lennon does. That is partly because MON handled himself reasonably well (was still very bitter right enough) in front of the cameras.

And that leads to another potential reason for all the recent problems..... YOU Mr Lawell and your trusty sidekick Dr John Reid. You are allowing your staff to perpetuate the myth that there is some kind of subterfuge against Celtic within the Scottish game. This season has seen a dramatic turn for the worst.... to the point we saw the attack on Wednesday night.... but also from YOUR club.

Once Celtic get to the point that they can accept that sometimes things go against you not because there is a campaign against you but because you either a) arent good enough, b) arent lucky enough or c) the other teams are simply better than you then we might, just might, have a chance of ending all the absurdity that we are seeing.

So long as Celtic propogate the "everyone hates us and will hand the title to Rangers" attitude to their fanbase and those same fans buy it and further the propaganda then it will create friction between Celtic and all other clubs - it is natural that this will happen.

So how about Celtic start cleaning up their act in conjunction of course with ALL clubs in Scotland ? Once they do that then we may see an improvement.

Lennon embodies the Celtic that Lawwell and Reid dream about. He has created the Celtic that they wanted. They are believers in the process of the fenianing of Celtic. That is the main reason that they will not get rid of him.

There's also the small point of Lennon's presence take the spotlight off the board itself.

There's also the small point of Lennon's presence take the spotlight off the board itself.

This is a very good point actually BD. More and more I get the feeling that Lennon serves a dual purpose for Lawell & Reid. He could easily be a patsy - losing 3IAR to a "skint" Rangers, "the worst Rangers team ever" (according to Timmy) and the spotlight all of a sudden falls on the anti-Celtic bias in Scotland rather than the Celtic's Board ineptitude in trying to put Rangers to the sword.

This is a very good point actually BD. More and more I get the feeling that Lennon serves a dual purpose for Lawell & Reid. He could easily be a patsy - losing 3IAR to a "skint" Rangers, "the worst Rangers team ever" (according to Timmy) and the spotlight all of a sudden falls on the anti-Celtic bias in Scotland rather than the Celtic's Board ineptitude in trying to put Rangers to the sword.

Agreed. The BHEASTS are far too caught up in all this bullshit to see how badly Liewell,Dr Death and TLB have spent a lot of money trying to win the title allied with the fact that this is the weakest Rangers FC are ever likely to be financially and have STILL FAILED to deliver the title. It's not our fault,everybody hates us,that's why we never won the league.We have battled the refs,SFA blah blah,but it's a conspiracy I tell ye.

Well,from a good Rangers man GIRFUY,you chunts deserve nothing as you have tried to cheat,intimidate and lie your way to the title. Now away and lie in yer pish why the good people enjoy another title party.

It was only last week when Liewell publicly stated that there is not a sectarian problem at C****c !!!!,what chance is there of ever solving sectarian problems when the likes of him is in denial?.

Edited by ian1964