Celtic-Rangers game faces switch from New Year date

The Scottish Premier League may be forced to scrap the New Year Old Firm game next season. The fixtures will be released on Friday and the traditional meeting between Rangers and Celtic, which takes place on the public holidays of 1 or 2 January, looks likely to played on a midweek evening in December instead.

The move follows police advice in a bid to reduce the possibility of trouble. The SPL secretary Iain Blair told the Scottish Mail on Sunday: "We've been working with the police and government and their view is a midweek Old Firm game is easier for them to deal with compared to the challenges presented by bank holidays, such as January 2.

"Wednesday 28 is a working day, as is Thursday 29, so let's see what happens. While the crowd situation at the actual games has been very good in recent years, their view is that what happens at the stadium has an effect on various parts around Scotland, excessive drinking etc, and the problems created.

"If there are things we can do that would minimise those opportunities, then we will look at them."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/jun/12/celtic-rangers-new-year-switch

Guest Dutchy

It was always going to happen. In the present utilitarian form of politics we have in this country, you can't have large crowds of drunks roaming around the country all with pent-up bitterness and annoyance in them, just ready to explode if the wrong thing is said to them. The greatest good for the greatest number principle takes precedence here and it's about time folks who are rarely in a church stop humiliating our counrty with their sad drunken lives and get some help.

I would have to say this is the right thing to do.

Guest BillyMac

there will be enough people off work at this time off the year so it makes no sense whatsoever to change the game to a midweek as some people can if they so desire be in the pub or drink in house all day then take all their hatred out in the streets or to the game it is for me just window dressing

Guest Dutchy

Folks that work for bigger firms BillyMac will prpbably have time off, but guys that work for wee building firms and in shops and supermarkets will still have to turn up for work during mid-week. There will still be plenty of drinking and some trouble here and there, I'd expect it to be less.

I'd rather play on the traditional date, and consider this as a back-handed kick in the teeth to the working class(!!!!!), but if the refuse to control themselves, the powers that be will take action. So be it.

Very strange date picked by the plods, even though it's a 'working' day as such i'd still say the majority will be on holiday and it then gives them the whole day for drinking before the game :drink::onetoomany:

Agree, that is a totally crazy decision. Even people that have to work will stop at 4 and get razzed up before the game. Wednesday after New Year would have been a far better option as almost everyone would be back at work and many of them would be too skint to buy any booze anyway.

Guest Dutchy

I'll be in Holland over the christmas period, so it's the streams for me. Shit!!!

It would have been if it were on 1st or 2nd anyway.

I bought the Rangers News the other week as it was mostly a homage to Walter and the season just passed, but in it they had a Eindhoven Supporters club ad. They claimed to show live games. It said they showed them in 'The Pride, Kerkstraat, so that is worth looking into.