5 reasons I loved that season.

Reason 1. We got rid of SDM.

Reason 2. We won the league.

Reason 3. Europe after x-mas.

Reason 4. We got rid of Smith.

Reason 5 We won an old firm cup final.

I put them in order of importance to me. I was a fan of SDM for about 2 years then my point of view started to change on him. If we won nothing but got rid of him, the season would have been a good one.

The league, Europe and cup speak for themselves.

I was never a big fan of Smith particularly in his first spell. I was not happy that he was back. I think that he has done remarkably well in his second go, however I am glad that he is gone.

What do you guys think?

IMHO it was the best season emotionwise we have had since Souness. Always walking on the edge, being harrassed by Timothy and the media - especially with Timothy running amok at and with each and everyone, leading the way all the time and boasting the title won after the OF game, not to mention the OF disasters in January and February. The whole Timidation scenario while we were on the ropes with bank problems and players so rare or injured ... and then see them rallying to Walter & Co., us and against most odds ... that was just great.

Re reason 4: suum cuique. Would never underwrite that myself.

Fair enough Danny. I am glad that he is gone. If you had the option would you have given him say another 3 years?

I can list you all the things I don't like about his management but I'm sure you have heard them all before.

I for one assume those who want to see the back of him most are those from beyond the Clyde. His reign as a Rangers boss saw them lose title challenge after title challenge.

And, matter of factly, at the end of the day, Walter won us more trophies than any other Rangers manager in living history. Matter of fact, he won us more trophies than a legion of football teams around the globe will ever see in their trophy cabinets. Maybe people didn't like the way he went about the business, not least with tactics in Europe and all, but I for one am not arrogant enough to demand more of the Old Fox.

I agree with point 4 I am also glad to see him go. His tactics cost us again this year in Europe, going out to PSV. If there ever was a game that was there to be won, then that was it. Again just like the UEFA final he shat a brick and let PSV off the hook. I prefer a manager in charge that will at least put up a fight in Europe. I accept against the bigger clubs we will be forced onto the back foot but to keep a 9 man back line without a few trying to break forward is cringe worthy.

I also agree on your other points.

Point 4 I have to disagree with (remember p l g?).

Christ sake man, he WON 10 titles out of 12, and HIS tactics took us to the UEFA Cup Final in the first place.

Maybe if he won 12 out of 12 and also won that final on pens after a 0-0 draw, you'd still find fault.

Thanks for the reply Der Berliner. I am not arrogant and I don't make demands either, I'm just glad he is gone. All gifts are greatly appreciated. During his first spell celtic were crap and didn't win anything for about 4 seasons. In my view he won trophies by default. If you are happy with stats, then fair enough. I tend to look at the overall picture.

cada un a la propietat no

Pete thanks for the reply, I'm new here and wanted to dip my toe in the water. The countless European disappointments are well documented.

I agree with point 4 I am also glad to see him go. His tactics cost us again this year in Europe, going out to PSV. If there ever was a game that was there to be won, then that was it. Again just like the UEFA final he shat a brick and let PSV off the hook. I prefer a manager in charge that will at least put up a fight in Europe. I accept against the bigger clubs we will be forced onto the back foot but to keep a 9 man back line without a few trying to break forward is cringe worthy.

I also agree on your other points.

In my eyes the ref in that match shat a brick.

Fair enough Danny. I am glad that he is gone. If you had the option would you have given him say another 3 years?

I can list you all the things I don't like about his management but I'm sure you have heard them all before.

I'd have had him indefinitely.

Don't get me wrong, I know he had his flaws - he was not a perfect manager. But how well he did in his second spell given the travesty of PLG and the excruciating end to Eck was a stunning turn around. He knew the SPL better than anyone else and even up against a cash rich Celtic with a huge squad managed to win the league.

The truth is what did you expect from us? Barcelona? PLG tried that open football and was torn to pieces in the SPL. In the state we ended up in, Walter Smith was a better manager than we could realistically afford. He's the only manager to have got us to a European final and within a point of the CL final.

Now we go into an uncertain era with a rookie manager who's got everyone's support but no one knows how good he will be. For all I know he'll play astonishing football and we'll be 80 points clear after 3 matches. But at this time, the stabilising hands of Walter will be missed.