the lack of transfer activity

Guest Dutchy

There's a couple of weeks yet before we bugger off to Germany. It would be better to take any new signings with us, but it's not the end of the world if players sign when we return. Just as long as we sign some.

Im starting to get pissed off with the severe lack of transfer activity. There has been plenty of talk about how much McCoist will have to spend (12 mill allegedly) but so far we have only courted a bosman deal and nothing else.

There's absolutely no way McCoist has a 12 million budget for this transfer window, no chance. I'd be extremely surprised if he can even spend half of that amount. These newspaper hacks who've been talking about �£12m and �£10m etc are talking total rubbish.

Not getting concerned yet. Although from what's been reported one can't help but suspect that the "transfer kitty" figures include wages.

I think you'd have to include the wages of the players who've left as well (including Miller in Jan') to come up with fantasy football figures like �£12m.

Guest Dutchy
There's absolutely no way McCoist has a 12 million budget for this transfer window, no chance. I'd be extremely surprised if he can even spend half of that amount. These newspaper hacks who've been talking about �£12m and �£10m etc are talking total rubbish.

It's a fair point we will not spend �£12 million on players this season, but if we spent �£6-8 million, I for one would be over the moon.

And we may get into the group stages of the CL, thus freeing up another couple of milllion for another one or two players in the January window. Well, with any luck!

It's a fair point we will not spend �£12 million on players this season, but if we spent �£6-8 million, I for one would be over the moon.

And we may get into the group stages of the CL, thus freeing up another couple of milllion for another one or two players in the January window. Well, with any luck!

I honestly can't see us spending anything like �£6-8 million before the 1st CL qualifying round; more like �£3-4m tops, but if we make it through that round we'll maybe have an extra 1 or 2 million to play with and getting to the group stages would give us an even better cushion for spending on a bit of quality.

Celitc actually have signed players but they were agreed months ago as they were pre-contracts.

Yeah, I remember them, I just mean they've not signed anyone this window yet.

Guest Dutchy
I honestly can't see us spending anything like �£6-8 million before the 1st CL qualifying round; more like �£3-4m tops, but if we make it through that round we'll maybe have an extra 1 or 2 million to play with and getting to the group stages would give us an even better cushion for spending on a bit of quality.

I suppose we've not had any success yet in signing anyone, wich creates some concern and all the talk of splashing out �£5 million plus in the first season not happening would increase that feeling. Craig Whyte would be playing a dangerous game if that were to be the casse. I'd be surprised if he didn't at least break the �£5 million mark in a first season that is meant to be top loaded.

Then again, if the players are not going to come, or are not allowed to come, he could easily claim it's out of his hands. The next couple of weeks is when we should start to worry. First game on the 23rd July, probably gives us nearer 3 weeks, which should provide a clearer picture on whether the likes of Cueller and Bartley will come. I hope we have time to sign replacement targets if they don't come.

When is the window closed, do you know?

When is the window closed, do you know?

31st of August in Scotland. Our first 2 legs in CL qualifying (round 3) aren't until the end of July (leg 1) and beginning of August (leg 2). IIRC the 2nd leg is on the 2nd of August. If we can get through that round without spending much beforehand, we'll have more cash to play with in the transfer market. Either way it's a gamble because if we spend big before the first of our two qualifying rounds and go out, we'll have overspent. If we don't spend much and go out the fans will be raging, but we won't have overspent. Don't spend much and go through, then Ally might have the option of buying some real quality.

Guest Dutchy

Yeah, it's a bit of a balancing act. I'm still fairly confident that we will have some players in place and as you say, if we progress in the CL, some more.

Either way, it's not the time to start panicking just yet?

If nothing hs happened by this time next month I'd be getting jittery.