the lack of transfer activity

CRAIG WHYTE has urged Rangers fans not to panic after boss Ally McCoist missed out on another summer target.

Just three days after Israeli striker Tomer Hemed opted for a move to Real Mallorca, Scotland star Craig Conway stunned Gers by agreeing a three-year deal with Cardiff City.

The out-of-contract midfielder held initial talks with Gers gaffer McCoist last week.

No offer was ever tabled by the SPL champions and Conway sealed his move to the Championship last night.

Whyte, however, has reassured worried Gers supporters that he is working hard on at least SIX summer transfers.

Whyte said: "It is very important for us and the fans not to panic. We would like to get players in but we must get it right.

"We will pursue the targets that Ally has identified and then hopefully will get some deals concluded.

"I think five or six new players is the number we have been talking about.

"I think that is what Rangers need."

Whyte confirmed that Gers have approached Aston Villa with a view to bringing Carlos Cuellar back to Ibrox.

New Villa boss Alex McLeish does not want to sell the Spaniard, but could be tempted if Gers throw keeper Allan McGregor into any potential deal, though that looks unlikely.

Whyte hopes to hand McGregor, full back Steven Whittaker and midfielder Steven Davis new deals and said: "I've said that Allan McGregor is not for sale.

"We have made a bid for Carlos, but with the managerial change there it has slowed a little.

"We've made a very generous offer to Whittaker and I am scheduled to meet with the agent for Steven Davis over the next few days."

Whyte insists he will not be held to ransom as boss McCoist moulds his new look squad.

That means Dundee United will have to LOWER their asking price for striker David Goodwillie.

Whyte insisted: "I think for that player a price of �£2million is too steep.

"I am sure there are more conversations to be had with Dundee United about it."

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3651418/Whyte-tells-Rangers-not-to-panic.html#ixzz1Pz8kBdnx

Rangers owner Craig Whyte has said that he is looking to bring at least five new faces to Ibrox this summer to boost the club’s title defence.

New manager Ally McCoist has already identified transfer targets for the new season and Whyte says he is hopeful of delivering the players

needed.

The club have already had talks with Tomer Hemed but the Israeli stiker opted to move to La Liga. Preliminary discussions were also held with Craig Conway but no offer was made and the player now looks set to move to Cardiff City.

Whyte said that although no signings had been concluded yet, there was no need for the club’s support to worry.

“It is very important for us and for the fans not to panic,” Whyte said.

“We would like to get the players in but we must get it right. We will pursue the players that Ally has identified and then hopefully will get some deals concluded.

“I think five or six new players is the number we have been talking about. I think that is what Rangers need.”

An enquiry has already been made to Dundee United about striker David Goodwillie, though the asking price is above Rangers’ own valuation. Whyte also confirmed that a bid had been launched for former Gers defender Carlos Cuellar, now at Aston Villa.

http://sport.stv.tv/football/scottish-premier/rangers/259312-craig-whyte-rangers-need-five-or-six-signings/

Guest Dutchy

Just heard that Rangers have shown some interest in Hearts' Lee Wallace. I don't know if it was an inquiry, or a solid bid, but there's something happening!

Guest hurricane_dj

Its fair enough people saying relax plenty of time the seasons a month away and Rangers are 5 players down on last seasons squad. It is important to make a good start and players need time to gel. The longer they take the harder the season gets, remember we also have an untested new manager. There is also the issue of the Champions League and dont think we want to face ourself with another Kaunas situation.

The fact is there is plenty of talk and very little action. On who we are linked with Cuellar will be a good signing if it happens though again issue is he is injured, there is talk of bartley but apparently we are going to wait around for Arsene to make a decision which is worrying as it Center Defence we need 2 or 3 players, do we wait for Bartley and lose out on others is the risk worth it. Lee Wallace would be a good signing as Papac could slot into Center Defence.

In my estimation we need a couple of center backs maybe 3, though 2 plus Wallace would be fine. We also need a couple of genuine experienced wide players at least 2 as at times We are to obvious due to the lack of width. I would also argue we need a number 10 a player who will switch up and change things and as good as Davis is he isnt that type of player. I would also say another striker is needed.

To summarize we have lost a few players from last season from a squad that already looked thin on the ground to cover that we need 5 or 6 like whyte says but id argue it should be 7 or 8 to further the squad and allow us to progress.

I wasn't bothered, but I am now starting to get just slightly irritated at the lack of hard signings. All the players we're in for is starting to test my patience because so far we're not getting any of them.

would folk prefer is we were just buying up any old players???

With holidays etc, transfer talks have been difficult. Also, how accurate are the media reports??? Are there as many SERIOUS approached as has been mentioned in the papers??? So far, the only player that has been really "lost" is Hemed, and that was due to money/wages. Surely that's not the type of player that should be brought in anyway - one driven solely by a wage packet!!!!

I have faith in Ally & his team that they are working their little socks off to get the RIGHT players for the team. They gambled with spending �£4m on Jelavic last year - putting all their eggs in one basket, in order to get quality - it has proved to be the right move. It was also a deal which took time!!!