Rangers v Malmo or Torshavn

HE'S A Swedish striker called Larsson and he wears the No.7 shirt. That should be enough to send a shiver down the spine of any Rangers fan.

If that isn't enough to scare them, Malmo hitman Daniel Larsson insists he'd love to emulate his namesake and score against the Ibrox club.

Former Celtic hero Henrik Larsson was the scourge of Gers for seven years during his time at Parkhead.

And when the draw for the Champions League third qualifying round was made yesterday, Daniel Larsson's eyes lit up.

The 24-year-old front man admits being paired with the SPL champions is the worst possible draw in terms of the Swedish side's hopes of going through.

But the thought of going to Glasgow and the prospect of being the latest Larsson to cause Rangers nightmares has the Malmo star excited.

He revealed Henrik's impact at Celtic made people in Sweden sit up and take note of the intense Old Firm rivalry.

He told Record Sport: "There have been a few Swedish players who have played for Rangers, like Jonas Thern and Joachim Bjorklund. But they're most well known in Sweden because of the rivalry with Celtic.

"Celtic were really popular here when Larsson played there along with Johan Mjallby. That increased the interest in Scottish football massively in Sweden.

"Of course Larsson was a great player. Everyone recognises the skill he has and he's undoubtedly one of the greatest players Sweden has ever had. I know he scored a lot of goals against Rangers for Celtic.

"Maybe I can be the next Larsson to score against Rangers - I sure hope so. I can assure you I'll be trying my best."

Malmo currently sit eighth in the Swedish top flight and have failed to recapture the form that won them the title last term.

Larsson knows they face a monumental task to knock Rangers out of Europe early but warned McCoist's men they believe they can beat anyone on their day.

He hopes the fact Malmo are midway through their domestic season will help them but expects Rangers to be fully focused on qualifying for the Champions League play-off round.

The striker, who has bagged 25 goals in 70 league games for Malmo, said: "Of all of the teams we could have faced, Rangers is probably the toughest game for us.

"Glasgow Rangers are a huge club who have a lot of experience of playing in Europe. They also have excellent quality in their squad.

"Everyone at Malmo was hoping for a smaller club, an easier team to improve our chances of going through.

"But at the same time it will be a joyful experience to play such a big team and go to such a great stadium as Ibrox. It will be a massive game, that's the good thing to come out of the draw.

"Although it will be difficult for us, we still believe that if we get through we can beat Rangers.

"All the Malmo players believe we have real quality but we haven't shown it in the league so far this season. We go out in every game believing we can get a result and that won't change for the Rangers game.

"We are into our season while Rangers haven't started yet. I would hope that would be a big advantage to us but I doubt it.

"Rangers will do anything to reach the Champions League and this is a vital part of it. So they'll be ready for us."

Larsson knows all about Rangers' new gaffer Ally McCoist and despite a lack of signings this summer he insists they have genuine quality in their squad.

Familiar As a goalscorer himself, he picked out fellow front man Nikica Jelavic as the main danger to the Swedes over the two legs, the first of which will be next midweek at Ibrox.

He said: "I absolutely know McCoist. He's an experienced guy and was a great striker when he played.

"I also know most of the Rangers players. They are familiar to everyone in the Malmo team.

"Of course I know about Jelavic.

Whenever I saw Rangers or viewed their results from last season, he was scoring a lot of goals. That's usually a sign that he's a top player." Provided Malmo see off Faroese minnows Torshavn after a 2-0 first-leg victory in the second qualifying round, Larsson will make his first trip to Glasgow in just over a week's time.

And after a successful mission against another Scottish side in 2007, the Swede is eager to pull off another victory.

He said: "I have never been to Glasgow but I played against Dunfermline four years ago with my old team BK Hacken - it was a qualifier for the Europa League.

"We won that game so I have a good record against Scottish teams. Hopefully that will bode well for me against Rangers."

The name Game Z Daniel Larsson is fan of Henrik, left

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/2011/07/16/i-want-to-be-the-next-larsson-to-put-rangers-to-the-sword-says-malmo-hitman-daniel-86908-23274722/

I'm gonna put it out there:

Yes, they're champions of Sweden, yes that league includes Gothenburg and AIK. But we will play far far better teams (should we make it) in the CL so to fail to beat this one would just be silly.

We have far better players than they do, even if they've misfired during preseason.