THEY say time is money.

Steve Davis just wishes Rangers weren't short of both in the not too distant past.

The Northern Irish star saw Kris Boyd and Kenny Miller run their contracts down before quitting for bigger money.

But Davis is convinced those days are a thing of the past.

Craig Whyte's first major acts after buying out Sir David Murray have been securing the services of Steven Whittaker and Allan McGregor on long-term, big-money deals.

Skipper Davie Weir has also signed on for another year, with top defensive target Carlos Cuellar being offered an Ibrox return.

Next up is Davis. The playmaker is on the brink of putting pen to paper on a new Gers deal.

He is just gutted Gers didn't have the time and money before to prevent some of the club's top stars walking away.

He said: "I've really enjoyed my time here and as long as we continue to have success that will be the case.

"I think the takeover was important. We saw people - guys like Kenny and Kris - running down their contracts over the last couple of years.

"Had the takeover gone through earlier then chances are we wouldn't have lost them.

"It's nice to see things have changed and the boys are committing themselves to the club.

"My talks are still on-going. We're not a million miles away, it's just the final details that need sorted. I'm confident something will get done, so I'm not worrying about it.

"The only thing I'm concentrating on right now is getting my fitness levels up."

Davis looked sharp enough back in his homeland on Saturday as he helped Gers cruise to victory over Linfield to give Ally McCoist his first win as Rangers boss.

New Spanish star Juan Manuel Ortiz opened the scoring in 21 minutes but Michael Carvel levelled five minutes later.

The Ibrox side stepped up a gear after the break as Steven Naismith and Nikica Jelavic struck before young sub Kane Hemmings hit a late fourth to seal the win and send BOTH sets of fans away happy.

Davis admits Gers are shaping up well as McCoist tries to bolster his squad for Saturday's big kick-off.

Davis added: "We were a bit sloppy in the first half but in the second half we created chances and scored good goals. There were a lot of positives to take from it.

"It's the shortest pre-season I've ever been involved in and it's only now we're starting to get that sharpness back. I think it'll take a couple of weeks before we're up to full speed.

"It's a difficult time for the manager to get players in, with the early start to the season.

"Deals usually get done late on in August but he is working as hard as he can to get the right people in and we're all confident he'll have done that by the start of the season.

"The spine of the squad is there. We just need to add to it for a bit of depth." While he is happy to stay and help Gers' push for four in a row, Davis admits he still hankers for another crack at England's top flight.

But Davis is well aware the grass is not always greener down south. He said: "I'd never rule England out.

"It's great league to be involved in so maybe some day I'll get back down the road. But I enjoy my football here, that's my motivation.

"I come in to my work happy every day and my family are settled here, which is a massive thing for me.

"There's pressure every year not to rest on your laurels and to win the league. That expectation will always be there, but it probably helps me that I'm a Rangers fan.

"The club means a lot to me and I would rather be here winning things and being involved in big European nights and great runs.

"You could sign for any number of English teams and be involved in a relegation battle but at Rangers you get the chance to win things and fulfil ambitions.

"Plenty have found that out - the number of people who leave Rangers then want to come back says a lot."

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3700232/Linfield-1-Rangers-4.html#ixzz1SR6p0H7W

I just wish I knew when the 48 hours started???

At this stage I can state categorically that our new signings will occur within 48 hours of a day before the next signing takes place.

Guest Dutchy
At this stage I can state categorically that our new signings will occur within 48 hours of a day before the next signing takes place.

Thanks for clearing that up for me, I found myself ageing by 48 hours every day.

signed a five year deal :D, on the rangers website

STEVEN DAVIS has become the latest Rangers star to commit his long term future to the club after he put pen to paper on a new five-year deal that will keep him at the club for his peak years.

David Healy and Steven DavisThe Northern Ireland midfielder joins Steven Whittaker and Allan McGregor in agreeing a lengthy new contract and his re-signing is another boost for boss Ally McCoist.

Former Aston Villa and Fulham playmaker initially joined the Light Blues on loan in January 2008, helping the team to the final of the UEFA Cup in his first half season.

A full time deal was then agreed in the summer of 2008 and in the intervening three years the 26-year-old has been a key player in the club securing three back to back titles.

No just days ahead of the new campaign his future has been mapped out and Rangers fans can look forward to at least five more years with Davis at the heart of the team's midfield.