What do we REALLY need in terms of new players?

We need a midfielder whose only purpose for breathing in this cruel world is the joy of opening up a defence.

Yes, and can we have a unicorn, a yeti, a werewolf, a dodo and a hippogriff, please? :fish:

For me we need new players in defence, midfield and upfront. Goalkeeping is perfect currently.

Personally: we need at least 2 central defenders and one utility defender (Sell or loan Broadfoot).

We need a player who can create things and can take set pieces (not Eremenko), plus a winger

We need at least one striker (Get rid of Beattie)

So in all I think we need at least 5 players will we get another 4 in? Goian is possible but we have over a month so I will wait and see.

Looks like we more or less agree that it's CH x 2, Midfield x 2, and a striker.

And I loved some of the descriptions about the midfielders. However, that kind of player does not come cheap.

Don't get me wrong, I hope we get a couple, but you don't get good ones under 7 or 8 million.

Saturday showed that we are in desperate need of a striker. It seems that we only have Jelavic and Lafferty and need at least one more to help if either of them are injured.

Half thought this also but wouldnt mind seeing Healy and Hemmings get more game time.

We need a midfielder whose only purpose for breathing in this cruel world is the joy of opening up a defence.

Yes, and can we have a unicorn, a yeti, a werewolf, a dodo and a hippogriff, please? :fish:

I loved some of the descriptions about the midfielders. However, that kind of player does not come cheap.

Don't get me wrong, I hope we get a couple, but you don't get good ones under 7 or 8 million.

Guys, I'm replying to all three of you here because it seems to make sense.

As I said in the OP, I watched Spain play Serbia in the UEFA U19 Euro championships on Saturday night (It was live from Romania on British Eurosport) and I have to say they absolutely demolished a very decent Serb side. It was 4-0 but could easily have been 7 or 8 nil, maybe more.

There were a couple of phenomenal young players in the Spanish team and this is really my point here; extremely talented players ARE available. The captain for the Spanish U19s was a lad called Pablo Sarabia. If you don't know the name, then remember it because this lad is an incredible talent. He was 19 in May and Real Madrid have just sold him to Getafe for 3 million Euros on a 5 year contract. He's so good that Real have put a clause in the sale where they can buy him back after two seasons. From what I've seen this lad is exactly the type of player we need. He's an attacking midfielder who because of his level of skill just makes the game look easy. Gifted is the word I'd use and I think that's what we need added to a our team because we've got some good players, but we need to add some real talent, a player or two who just create things almost every time they get the ball.

It might sound like I'm living in a dream world and maybe I am, but these talented youngsters ARE out there. If a 19 year old Real Madrid attacking midfield play-maker can be bought for 3 million euros in today's market, someone needs to explain to me why so many Gers fans think Goodwillie is worth 2 million quid. I'm not kidding and for me it puts our Lee Wallace signing in a different perspective too; I wanted us to sign Wallace, but for anyone who thinks we paid the right amount for what we got, I disagree. I think we paid too much.

Ok, so there's the aspect of a club like Real Madrid wanting to sell a player like Sarabia with a buy back clause to another La Liga club because it gets him playing in La Liga for experience rather than playing for the Real Madrid B team and you could argue that they wanted to sell (loan) him to a club in a TOP league rather than a shite league, but that would be missing the point. My point is not this one player, it's that serious talent IS out there to be had for reasonable prices. We just need a scouting network capable of finding them!!! :groan:

Half thought this also but wouldnt mind seeing Healy and Hemmings get more game time.

Same here, but then again, they could just be backup for when Jelavic and/or Lafferty are unavailable if we had the right players creating enough attacking play from midfield instead of muppets who pass the ball 30 or 40 yards backwards in the dying seconds of a game when we need a goal.