I think I have noticed a bit of a trend happening...

Anytime Edu & McCulloch are played together, they are both pretty mince. However, I felt that last week against Caley, Edu had a good game alongside Davis & Ness.

I think that Edu's true strength is trying to push forward. With McCulloch beside him, he becomes much more defensive, and doesn't get the opportunity to get up the park.

I think as part of a midfield 3, WITHOUT McCulloch, Edu is capable of doing a good job.

Discuss....

I agree to an extent but that doesn't explain the lad's own short-comings.

He appears incapable of concentrating for a full 90mins week after week and is almost always reactive instead of anticipative. Add in a lack of quality (his touch is very poor at times) then it's difficult to give the guy the benefit of the doubt.

I do think there is a player there but three years after we signed him, we're still struggling to develop that raw potential into consistent quality. Perhaps it's time to cash those chips in?

@ Frankie's post ... and that is posssibly the reason why we signed up McKay, who plays in their (Lee & Mo's) position. Strong and with an eye for a pass too. Edu can be somewhat frustrating and thus I would, if we have the opportunity, keep him on the bench.

I just get the impression that he's not a defensive player.....I think Davis is a good influence on him, but when McCulloch is playing as well, it kinda overrides that influence.

I think that with a more forward/attack minded setup, Edu's general game will pick up.

@ Frankie's post ... and that is posssibly the reason why we signed up McKay, who plays in their (Lee & Mo's) position. Strong and with an eye for a pass too. Edu can be somewhat frustrating and thus I would, if we have the opportunity, keep him on the bench.

I liked the 4-3-3 formation that McCoist played last week, and I thought that Edu did well. However, if he keeps with that formation for the SPL, I can see the midfield being, Bedoya, Davis & McKay. With Edu predominantly on the bench (or sold...)

He appears incapable of concentrating for a full 90mins week after week and is almost always reactive instead of anticipative. Add in a lack of quality (his touch is very poor at times) then it's difficult to give the guy the benefit of the doubt.

?

That's it in a nutshell - he's one of these players whose second touch is more often than not a tackle. I do think he's more effective going forward than holding, but I'm hoping with teh development of Ness and Hutton and teh signing of McKay and the American dude, we will either see an improvement through playing in a more natural position or see him just not in the team.