Stop The Bus! I Think Someone Left the Transfer Kitty in Malmo

Surely, the important thing is not how much has been spent, but has the money been WELL spent???

Of course it is and I do think the money spent so far has probably been well spent. I'm just keen to know if our Champions League exit has had a major impact on what was previously available to the manager. We had confirmed bids on three fronts to a combined total of over �£7m and that's without even counting our confirmed bids for Wesley Verhoek which if included would take our supposed bidding a few weeks back up to around the �£9m mark. What have we spent since all that money was on the table? Indeed, was there ever even that much money available in the first place? Instead of spending about �£5.5m combined on Carlos Cuellar and Roland Juh�¡sz, we brought in a defender on loan and bought Carlos Bocanegra for next to nothing. I'm happy with the signings of Bartley and Bocanegra, but I can't help wondering about the money, about whether or not Ally still has any significant funds at his disposal. We had bids for Wesley Verhoek and Goodwillie turned down which combined add up to over �£3.5m. Does Ally still have that money available to him?

In summary, I'm not questioning the quality of the signings we've made or how much we've spent. I'm questioning whether or not the manager still has funds of any significant amount available to him after our CL exit in Malmo.

Thanks for all your comments folks. I took what some of you were saying on board and this is the full article -

The title might lead you to thinking that you're about to read something satirical, but I can assure you that you aren't. With just over a week of the summer transfer window remaining, some Rangers fans are rightly beginning to wonder whether Ally McCoist still has the transfer kitty which our new owner Craig Whyte promised a few months ago.

It's actually been quite an interesting summer for us in the transfer market and not too many fans will be saying they're seriously underwhelmed by the business the club have done so far, but there's one thing that people are all too aware of and that's that the club haven't actually spent very much money.

Some people are correctly saying that it's prudent in the current financial climate for the club to be thrifty and not to spend much money, especially if it's money that the club doesn't actually have or in other words, borrowed. Others though, are brushing off their calculators and adding up what the club has actually spent in comparison to what it's received or due to receive.

Without going into specific details and listing all of the transfer fees, it would appear that so far the club has only spent approximately �£1.5 million of the promised �£5 million transfer fund when you take the incoming money from the sales of Madjid Bougherra and Charlie Adam into account. Craig Whyte also said that more than �£5 million could be made available to the manager if necessary.

It was only a few weeks ago that we were in a situation where the club had a �£2 million accepted bid for Carlos Cuellar on the table and were bidding over �£5 million combined for David Goodwillie and Roland Juh�¡sz. We also had the confirmed bids for Wesley Verhoek which if included would take our supposed bidding a few weeks back up to around the �£9 million mark.

Was there ever 9 million pounds actually being made available to the manager? Even if you argued that we were never really going to sign Carlos Cuellar because he was injured, that would still leave a situation where we were being led to believe there was something like �£7 million available to buy Goodwillie, Juh�¡sz and Verhoek. Was there really ever �£7 million available to buy those 3 players?

After our Champions League exit, I'm sure nobody in their right mind thinks Ally McCoist might still now have anywhere near �£7 million at his disposal, but where's the remaining �£3.5 million of the budget? Did someone leave it in Malmo or does Ally McCoist still have �£3.5 million to spend before the end of this transfer window?

Does the manager still have a transfer kitty at all or does it now depend on the result on Thursday night against NK Maribor? Did someone just forget about buying a new left winger and a new striker or are we waiting till the last day or two of the transfer window to try and snap up bargains or good quality loan signings? Lots of questions.....

http://t.co/ev26FE8

The defeat against Malmo probably shut the door on any big money deals and in my opinion, there is only one person responsible for that defeat at Ibrox and that is Ally McCoist. With the season starting early and probably the most important games of the season to earn mega-bucks coming up in July it was, again in my opinion, CL suicide to start pre-season training just +\-3 weeks earlier. I am not calling for his head or saying he will be a bad manager but this decision potentially cost us millions that he possibly could have had to improve his squad. We will now most likely have to live with that decision which will mean any big transfer targets ran down the malmo drains.

The defeat against Malmo probably shut the door on any big money deals and in my opinion, there is only one person responsible for that defeat at Ibrox and that is Ally McCoist. With the season starting early and probably the most important games of the season to earn mega-bucks coming up in July it was, again in my opinion, CL suicide to start pre-season training just +\-3 weeks earlier. I am not calling for his head or saying he will be a bad manager but this decision potentially cost us millions that he possibly could have had to improve his squad. We will now most likely have to live with that decision which will mean any big transfer targets ran down the malmo drains.

Spot on mate can't disagree

still think we need a striker

Especially now that Hemmings is out till xmas, maybe longer. I know he's just considered as one of our backup strikers, but we could definitely have used him at certain points this season and that's why he's been in the squad. Now that he's out injured, we really have to look at bringing in another striker before this transfer window closes, even if it's just a promising younger player on loan for 6 months or something to temporarily replace Hemmings in the squad.

We only have Jela, Lafferty, Healy, Beattie, as our strikers at the club, we have been playing Naismith up-front with Jela but i prefer him playing in Midfield.

Is Healy and Beattie going to get much game time, Healy has only came off bench once this season and Beattie hasn't featured at all, and are both good enough if Lafferty or Jela get injured or are both out i don't think so we need a new quality striker imo. I think Beattie will be off loaded by end of the window.

Guest Dutchy

I think the most annoying/frustrating thing about our signing policy this year, when we were meant to have �£5+ million available we lost out on so many desired players because of �£2-400,000 or so. Makes you wonder what was going on and why a thread on this subject seems credible.

I think it's only fair to ask the question given the comments made directly (or indirectly) by the new owner about our budgets.

However, it's also fair to note that budgets can change and when we consider the obvious impact no CL football has on our finances (we're down �£15million right away) then I'd rather the club were prudent rather than wasteful.

Generally, I think we've done quite well in the market so far. We've strengthen the squad and brought in some experienced players who are capable of improving the team and our SPL challenge. All for minimal outlay.

I'd like to see us make one more signing though as I think we need some creative and goalscoring cover - Jamie Murphy would be ideal as he's represent good value. However, I also wouldn't mind some experience up front but that would mean having to move one (or both) of Beattie and Healy on as they currently supposedly offer that without it seems being trusted by the manager to do so.

I'd be surprised if we didn't sign at least one more player via the EPL 25-man squad clearing lists.