Arsenal sign midfielders Mikel Arteta and Yossi Benayoun

Arsenal have signed Everton's Mikel Arteta for �£10m after the Spanish midfielder submitted a transfer request to force through the move.

Arteta, 29, joined the Gunners on a four-year contract just before the transfer window closed.

The deal had looked dead earlier after talks between the two clubs broke down but Arteta handed in the transfer request an hour before the deadline.

Arsenal also signed Chelsea's Yossi Benayoun, 31, on a season-long loan.

"Mikel indicated to me that he wished to join Arsenal if a bid came in," said Everton manager David Moyes.

Click to play

Benayoun's well-worked goal against Burnley

"I am very disappointed to lose him but the prospect of Champions League football was something I wasn't able to offer him."

According to BBC sports news correspondent Dan Roan, there is anger behind the scenes at Goodison because Arteta left his announcement so late that there was no time to re-invest the money.

Roan added: "Arsenal offered �£5m on Tuesday and offered �£10m on Wednesday afternoon - both bids were rejected. Any deal was dead until around 1900 BST, when Arteta told Moyes he wished to leave.

"Moyes spoke to the chairman, Bill Kenwright, and said he did not want to keep a player who did not wish to play for Everton.

"Arteta was Everton's highest-paid player ever on around �£75,000 a week and took a big pay cut to join Arsenal."

Arteta joined Everton from Real Socieded for �£2m in 2005 and has scored 35 goals in 208 appearances.

He started his career with Barcelona before spells with Paris Saint-Germain FC and Rangers.

The Spaniard suffered a knee ligament injury in February 2009 and was sidelined for almost 12 months before signing a new five-year deal in August 2010.

Former Arsenal defender Martin Keown told BBC Sport that both Arteta and Benayoun were "solid signings".

MARTIN KEOWN'S VIEW

Continue reading the main story

"Arsenal made eight signings during this transfer window, which is the biggest turnover of players Arsene Wenger has sanctioned since he came to the club back in 1998. He brought very well then, with a big group coming in - Petit, Overmars, Garde, Manninger, Wreh. Lots came in at once and we've not seen Wenger do that since. It hasn't really been his style of management. The amount of players he has brought in is a big call and only the results will tell as to whether or not he has got the right blend."

Read more from Martin Keown

But when asked if they would be adequate replacements for the departed Cesc Fabregas and Samir Nasri, Keown added: "No they're not, it's very hard to replace those players.

"I think back to the [Dennis] Bergkamp era, the impetus those players brought. Arteta is a great passer, Benayoun is not getting into Chelsea team. It's a mixed bag for Arsenal fans."

Benayoun, the Israel captain, wrote on social networking site Twitter: "I sign with Arsenal, very happy and excited about it, but now my head is only in the game against grecce on Friday, thanks for the support."

Both clubs later confirmed the move had gone through.

Chelsea offered Liverpool �£8m plus Benayoun for Reds midfielder Raul Meireles on Tuesday, but that deal was rejected.

He joined Blues from Liverpool for �£5m in July 2010 but was restricted to 10 appearances last season because of an Achilles injury and has seen only one minute of action this time round.

It had been rumoured Benayoun would be included in an offer from Chelsea for Tottenham playmaker Luka Modric.

Newcastle had also been linked with the Israeli.

Denmark striker Nicklas Bendtner completed a move away from Emirates Stadium just before the window closed, joining Sunderland on a season-long loan.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14739185.stm

The only thing that Arsenal needed that they didnt get, was a striker (possibly a full back too)

They picked up 2 CB's with Mertesacker, IMO, being a great piece of business. Santos, know nothing about him.

Benayoun & Arteta are very astute acquisitions. Whilst not being as good as Fabregas & Nasri I reckon they have a similar style of play & philosophy - should fit in very well into that team. The biggest bonus is that both are creative.

Could still have been doing with a striker, unless Wenger plans on playing Walcott with RVP - or goes with his fluent 4-5-1.

Given how much they have spent though, there should be plenty left in the bank for January, if needed.

Not better than what they have lost but defence looks stronger still think they will struggle to make top 4. It's them Liverpool and Spurs my money on Liverpool.

As an Arsenal fan.... I reckon it is Liverpool's too, sadly.

Craig, Santos is a left back so they only got 1 centre half in. They got Park Chu in upfront who is highly rated so thats him and Gervinho. They also paid highly for the Costa Rican striker but sent him out on loan which I was surprised about as he had a good couple of games in the Copa America.

I still feel they needed another centre half as Vermaelen is injury prone. So I hope they go back in for Cahill in January plus another creative midfielder like Hazard as Benayoun is only on loan.

Craig, Santos is a left back so they only got 1 centre half in. They got Park Chu in upfront who is highly rated so thats him and Gervinho. They also paid highly for the Costa Rican striker but sent him out on loan which I was surprised about as he had a good couple of games in the Copa America.

I still feel they needed another centre half as Vermaelen is injury prone. So I hope they go back in for Cahill in January plus another creative midfielder like Hazard as Benayoun is only on loan.

Gribz is right, Andre Santos is a left back. Perhaps he can play centre back too, I don't know.

I've never seen the South Korean boy play but he's highly rated from any reports I've read on the internet. The big German centre back Mertesacker is 6ft 6 and a current German international. He is exactly what Arsenal need at the heart of the defence.

I still feel they need a Vieira type player in the middle of the park. Wilshire, Ramsey and Song just don't have the presence for me or the strength to combat players like Essien, Mikel, Carrick and even Huddlestone. Add in whoever Man City play in that position too.

Again, Gribz is spot on. They need to bring in another centre half to cover for the injury prone Vermaelen. He had a terrific 1st season but unfortunately missed the most of last season through injury.

Hazard stated during the summer transfer window that he didn't want to come to Arsenal. I don't know if he means right now or ever. Hopefully Wenger can work something out and bring him in.

I'm now thinking that Wenger thinks that he's satisfied the fans with these big buys and will revert back to his old ways and buy young, inexperienced players again come January and next summer.