Rangers sued by law firm over unpaid bill

Bosses at Rangers face further financial turmoil after it emerged one of Scotland�s top law firms is suing the football club over unpaid legal bills.

Initial court proceedings have already taken place between the Ibrox club and Glasgow-based Levy & McRae over a bill understood to be around �£35,000 and dating from earlier this year.

The bill was for advice given to Rangers on how to handle the Uefa investigation into sectarian singing at Europa Cup games against Dutch side PSV Eindhoven.

Rangers were fined �£35,652 by Uefa in March and its fans banned from the next away European game over sectarian singing in the match in Holland with PSV.

The club also received a suspended ban on its fans for a second away game, for a probationary period of three years.

The latest financial woes to hit the Scottish champions emerged as former owner Sir David Murray made clear that Craig Whyte, the businessman to whom he sold Rangers, was ââ?¬Å?fully awareââ?¬Â of an outstanding tax liability of Ã?£2.8million before buying the club.

Last Friday, on the same day a preliminary hearing in the Levy and McRae case was heard at the Court of Session in Edinburgh, Rangers had �£2.8m seized after an arrest order was issued to the clubâ��s bank over an unpaid tax bill.

The order was delivered on Thursday following an application by Her Majesty�s Revenue and Customs. The club�s bank then acted by putting the money into a holding account

Levy & McRae also represents ex-Rangers chief executive Martin Bain in his breach of contract case against the club.

Sources close to both parties have claimed the legal action is a clear indication that relations between the club and its previous lawyers had broken down irrevocably, with one claiming: ââ?¬Å?Rangers were furious when Levy & McRae took on Martinââ?¬â?¢s case.ââ?¬Â

Although the bill dates from the Murray era, Rangers under Mr Whyte, who bought the club for a nominal �£1 in May, are still liable for the money, the law firm has claimed.

Peter Watson, of Levy & McRae, said: ââ?¬Å?We donââ?¬â?¢t wish to comment while the case is progressing through the courts.ââ?¬Â

A spokesman for Rangers also refused to comment.

Meanwhile, Sir David has insisted that the new owners knew of the outstanding tax bill before May�s takeover.

A spokesman for the Murray Group said: ââ?¬Å?Craig Whyte and his advisers were fully aware of the Ã?£2.8m tax liability before buying the club. The liability was included in our accounts for the six months ending on December 31, 2010.

ââ?¬Å?Assurances were given by Mr Whyte that funds were in place to enable him to pay that.ââ?¬Â

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/editor-s-picks/rangers-sued-by-law-firm-over-unpaid-bill-1.1122032

I believe that legal action is also likely to follow, following unpaid bills due to a North Glasgow college. What the fuck is going on at Rangers? In all my years of following Rangers, I cannot remember us having been made to look so foolish, so often. It looks like we're being run by amateurs.

New owners old bill if they are questioning who much they are being charged I wouldn't pay it either.

Good point. It does indeed seem like a very large bill for legal advice, although presumably it involves a lawyer travelling abroad to the UEFA hearings along with Bain and whoever else, so that would add to the costs when you start thinking in terms of 1st class travel, 4 or 5 star hotels and expenses....

I'm fecking sick hearing about lawyers, accounants and other professional crooks bleeding our club dry.

But then again, that's the way it is. There's absolutely nothing you can do about it. Aye, right!!!

Guest John1872

If it was £350,000 I would be more worried. £35,000 is a bill Rangers can obviously pay - yet they feel they shouldn't. We can only give them the benefit of the doubt that they are protecting the club from inflated fees.

When the electricity bill starts to be disputed then I'll worry.