Pittodrie up for sale

It's official. They're moving to a new stadium further away for the city centre with a capacity of 21,000. Great bit of business by a team who haven't sold out their stadium in feck knows how long?!?!?!

When was the last time they sold out Pittodrie, anyone know?

Pittodrie Stadium, the home of Aberdeen FC for the past 107 years, is being put up for sale.

The club believes that listing the 13.7-acre site on the market takes the proposed move to a new £38m stadium at Loirston Loch a step closer.

Property consultants CBRE have been appointed to handle the sale.

A masterplan to develop 350 houses on the current site of the stadium has already been approved in principle by Aberdeen City Council.

Dons chief executive Duncan Fraser insists the club is aiming to be operating from its new home in time for the start of the 2013/14 season.

Fraser also confirmed that the naming rights for Aberdeen's new home have also been put up for sale, to raise additional capital for the club.

"While the sale of Pittodrie is the key element of our funding model for the new stadium at Loirston Loch, progress has also been made regarding the securing of naming rights," said Fraser.

"The other elements are the raising of fresh equity and, on the back of that, securing a mortgage."

The plans for the new stadium incorporate facilities capable of holding about 21,000 fans.

Just checked and they got just under 12,500 when Celtic went up there in August. Not great, but not that bad for Aberdeen really when you consider that Hearts couldn't even get 15,000 attending at the weekend.

They'd be better off building a smaller stadium instead of 20k+ when it's going to be half empty for most games. A 14k or 15k stadium is the most they need.

I would say they probably have only sold it out in the past few years against us.

Here's a list of their highest attended game per season for last few years (from the official SPL site) -

10/11 season - Aberdeen v Rangers - 26/09/2010 - 15307

09/10 season - Aberdeen v Celtic - 15/08/2009 - 16803

08/09 season - Aberdeen v Rangers - 24/01/2009 - 20441

07/08 season - Aberdeen v Rangers - 23/12/2007 - 17798

06/07 season - Aberdeen v Rangers - 23/12/2006 - 20045

So aye, you're pretty accurate metlika. They've only come close to selling out against us in the past 5 seasons and in 4 of the 5 seasons it was games against us which drew their biggest attendance.

Guest Dutchy

They probably know it won't be filled very often, but are hoping for some Scotland game to be played there and open up a brand new spanking stadium as community sports centre. Maybe Scotland will co-host the Euro championships of the future and they're thinking along those lines.

Other than that, I've no idea why they're building a bigger stadium with falling crowds.

They probably know it won't be filled very often, but are hoping for some Scotland game to be played there and open up a brand new spanking stadium as community sports centre. Maybe Scotland will co-host the Euro championships of the future and they're thinking along those lines.

Other than that, I've no idea why they're building a bigger stadium with falling crowds.

Tbh I think nowadays all Euro stadiums have to be 30,000 and over. Plus the fact Scotland have no chance to get the competition our best chance was Euro 2008.

Guest Dutchy

Yes, but I don't know the design of the thing and it may be that it could be temporarily modified to 30,000. The government would pump money into that scenario if it were to happen, but if not, they will be trying to get other sports going up there. Who knows?

If it was done for purely football reasons, it seems fairly stupid to me.