Boycotting the BBC?

The law is surprisingly vague on this as it turns out, no doubt to leave as much ambiguity as possible to scare people into compliance. The actual wording is -

"A television licence is required for each household where television programmes are watched as they are broadcast, irrespective of the signal method (terrestrial, satellite, cable or the Internet). A licence is not required, however, if you use your television only to watch DVDs or play video games, or you only watch programmes on your computer after they have been shown on TV." - Television Licensing Authority

You can own a TV without a licence providing you do not watch live broadcasts. How they would prove that you do is another matter..

These links here are from the bbc and the tv licence websites, both confirming that the fee has nothing to do with equeptment only live broadcasts.

http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help/playing_tv_progs/tvlicence

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ103/

I remember when I was first considering giving up my TV license, they said that even if I had a video recorder in the house, I needed a TV lecense. I've got access to a video/TV comby and many old style vidoes, so, by rights, I should be able to watch these vids as the video would not be able to record digital programs.

Actually, I'd better read that link you're posted first, doh!

I remember when I was first considering giving up my TV license, they said that even if I had a video recorder in the house, I needed a TV lecense. I've got access to a video/TV comby and many old style vidoes, so, by rights, I should be able to watch these vids as the video would not be able to record digital programs.

Actually, I'd better read that link you're posted first, doh!

I was told when I cancelled my TV license that I would require one even for owning a mobile phone as it could receive a TV signal, whether I watched it or not.

The links that Sairdy posted seem to show otherwise. I pay for sky anyway, so I'm fooked either way.

I was on the phone to the TV licensing people and I asked if I could watch old recorded programs pre-digital change over. He said I could, but I've not been able to find anything stating this on the website.

Due to the information I have been given, mainly a verbal OK to do so, I'll be getting the combi down and just use it.

I'm becoming more intereseted in forsaking the BBC radio even. The news articles are all the same story all day long and I'm getting sick of everyone they interview on famous people are all catholics, or about Mary Queen of Scots prayer book been discovered, or members of the catholic church speculating on the succession rules being changed.

I should listen to Dutch radio more, if I want to improve my Netherlands.

I was on the phone to the TV licensing people and I asked if I could watch old recorded programs pre-digital change over. He said I could, but I've not been able to find anything stating this on the website.

Due to the information I have been given, mainly a verbal OK to do so, I'll be getting the combi down and just use it.

I'm becoming more intereseted in forsaking the BBC radio even. The news articles are all the same story all day long and I'm getting sick of everyone they interview on famous people are all catholics, or about Mary Queen of Scots prayer book been discovered, or members of the catholic church speculating on the succession rules being changed.

I should listen to Dutch radio more, if I want to improve my Netherlands.

My Dutch.;)

Ik weet het neit wat je ongeweer spreken?

That'll be wrong as well!

Ik denk dat je probeer om te zeggen, dat je niet weet wat ik bedoel. Ik bedoel dat in het Engels is het niet Netherlands maar Dutch.:)

Just trying to help you mate I am not trying to be smart.

Just one tip. neit, sounds like night and niet sounds like neat, which is the word you were looking for. If you only have ei as in night without the n and t you have an egg. I hope this helps you.