Boyd passes on chance with Houston Dynamo

Scottish striker Boyd passes on chance with Dynamo

Ex-Rangers legend gets full city tour, but won't join MLS in 2012

January 23, 2012

Darrell Lovell

MLSsoccer.com

kris-boyd.jpg

HOUSTON â?? The Houston Dynamo have fallen short in their bid for Scottish striker Kris Boyd.

After bringing the former Rangers standout to Houston for a three-day visit last week, Houston was informed by Boyd (above) today that he would not be plying his trade in MLS this season.

While in Houston, the Dynamo gave Boyd the full tour, including showing him the new stadium, their new training ground and taking him to an NBA game to see the Houston Rockets. In the end though, the move was not to be, and Boyd has decided to move elsewhere.

â??We tried our best to bring him here,â? Dynamo head coach Dominic Kinnear told reporters after training on Monday. â??Unfortunately I think the move was just something he didnâ??t want to do in his career right now, but I canâ??t fault us in being very aggressive in our approach to sign him.â?

Boyd would have provided the club with a skill they currently covet: an accomplished goal-scorer.

â??[boydâ??s] a player that scores goals and everyone I talk to in Britain was very complimentary about the way he goes about his business as far as scoring goals, and thatâ??s what you need,â? Kinnear said. â??To add an experienced scorer would be good for the team.â?

The chase of Boyd is evidence that the club is active in trying to bolster their strike force. With holdovers Cam Weaver, Calen Carr and Will Bruin on the roster and a host of youngsters, including first-round draft pick Colin Rolfe and trialist and Trinidad and Tobago international Darryl Roberts, the club feels there are a number of options already in camp.

However, they still have their eye cast on the international market to add to the forward core. Kinnear was in Honduras over the weekend on a scouting trip and saw top Honduran clubs Motagua and Real España.

â??Itâ??s tough to say,â? Kinnear said when asked if the club is optimistic about signing an international forward. â??All we can do is go out there and try and financially meet those demands. Weâ??re showing the stadium and training grounds around and I think America is a good place to live and weâ??re doing our best to bring someone in.â?

Darrell Lovell covers the Houston Dynamo for MLSsoccer.com.

I've put this in Rangers chat here because there's quite a number of people that would like to see Boyd back at Ibrox and well... we really do need a good poaching goal scorer.

Don't blame him for not wanting to move to Houston. Not a very nice city and the heat + humidity is almost unbearable.

Edited by Zappa

I've put this in Rangers chat here because there's quite a number of people that would like to see Boyd back at Ibrox and well... we really do need a good poaching goal scorer.

Don't blame him for not wanting to move to Houston. Not a very nice city and the heat + humidity is almost unbearable.

Yeah he struggled in the Scottish Cup so would not be for him. He would get used to it but I don't think he would fully adapt to it.

Houston is a decent enough city and has a decent standard of living.

But you are right... Boyd would absolutely DIE in that humidity. The MLS play their games in summer as well so he would have no escaping it....

Just a wee sidenote here.... we are looking at heading Stateside for our summer holiday this year (as per usual t be fair) and I might be taking the wee fella to see FC Dallas vs LA Galaxy - would be pretty neat to see Beckham & Keane playing over there (injuries, suspensions notwithstanding....).

I've very recently had a change of mind. Now I know that he was an out and out goals scorer, but I always saw him as lazy and at times it was like playing with ten men.

However, if we look at the number of misses in recent times (including Jelavic) I'm of the opinion that Boydy would have buried 10 or 15 of those. What difference would that have made? How many points?

I don't see us being linked with anyone better at goal grabbing?

Why don't we get him in until the end of the season and take it from there? Especially if Jelavic is off.

Five pager now .....

EDIT: took out the loan reference. Thanks Metlika.

Edited by bluebear54

Houston is a decent enough city and has a decent standard of living.

I worked there for 3 weeks a few years back and while there was a couple of things I liked about it, overall it's definitely not my type of city. Massive urban sprawl with more freeways/highways and interlinking road networks than anything else. To me, a place like Houston is primarily just roads, more roads, fast food joints and more fast food joints. Downtown is quite impressive, but that's not what Houston is all about tbh.