The Rangers supporters Trust

There are pros and cons as has been said: free membership is likely to swell the membership enormously in the short term but is it meaningful?

It would be meaningful if it helped the trust to quickly achieve it's fundamental goals which can't be achieved without large numbers.

There is also the issue mentioned by PLG of fairness to those who have already paid annual or life membrship.

It wouldn't be an issue if the free membership was only an introductory offer. As I described, members would have to start paying a yearly fee if the trust achieves it's goals of full or part fan ownership on a meaningful level.

As a layman supporter of RFC...just a fan who loves the club dearly, who's brought up kids who feel the same, pure bluenoses who follow follow and don't know anything but.

I find it curious why the groups who work in the interests of all things Rangers don't just say "Right lad's, time for unity, forget our differences".

....or am I just being stupid?

Surely if there was any chance of supporters getting a say in things then Rangers would need to organise a club to do it. As long as there are many different bodies claiming to speak for the fans then there is no chance of anything happening. I don't know if Murray is the right man for the job but if he could get control and run a scheme from within Ibrox it would have far more chance of success.

Happy to help you with that, Christine.

The Society's Rules state inter alia:

11. Members are to pay an annual subscription of such reasonable sum as the Society Board shall decide, the first payment to be made at the time of application for membership. The sum of £1 from the first payment shall be applied to purchase a share in the Society.

It clear from that that the minimum first memberhsip fee would be £1 and I think is arguable that even in succeeding years the expression "reasonable sum" implies an amount greater than zero.

So IMHO the Board can set a membership fee down to £1 but removing the requirement to pay an annual subscription altogether would require an AGM. It MIGHT also be a breach of SD Rules, I am not sure but I can find out for you tomorrow.

I hope it's OK to reply to myself.

SDS understanding is that if RST wish to make membership free then they should get their members approval for this. They could in the meantime offer fans the opportunity to register with them for nothing and then make them full members should the members meeting agree the change.

Alternatively they could do as the Man Utd ST do and have "E-Members" who join the organisation but are not members. They don't have voting rights and don't get documents by post. In effect they are simply on a communications list but it broadens the contacts that the trust has.

Given the critical nature of the desire to recruit new members one of these routes should be fine.

This information was relayed to RST around 2.00pm today, hopefully in time for them to discuss at their Board Meeting this evening.

I hope it's OK to reply to myself.

SDS understanding is that if RST wish to make membership free then they should get their members approval for this. They could in the meantime offer fans the opportunity to register with them for nothing and then make them full members should the members meeting agree the change.

Alternatively they could do as the Man Utd ST do and have "E-Members" who join the organisation but are not members. They don't have voting rights and don't get documents by post. In effect they are simply on a communications list but it broadens the contacts that the trust has.

Given the critical nature of the desire to recruit new members one of these routes should be fine.

This information was relayed to RST around 2.00pm today, hopefully in time for them to discuss at their Board Meeting this evening.

I don't think the E-Members route would give them the position of strength they should be seeking at this time, since it's essentially just a mailing list. They should try to go down the route in your quote which I put in bold.

I don't think the E-Members route would give them the position of strength they should be seeking at this time, since it's essentially just a mailing list. They should try to go down the route in your quote which I put in bold.

Perhaps but that wouldn't make them members unless the existing members agreed at an EGM.

I can't see existing "paid" members agreeeing to allow new members in for free.

Perhaps but that wouldn't make them members unless the existing members agreed at an EGM.

I can't see existing "paid" members agreeeing to allow new members in for free.

If existing paid members voted against allowing free membership on a temporary basis to massively strengthen the trust's position at this time then it would be petty, selfish and rather stupid of them.

If existing paid members voted against allowing free membership on a temporary basis to massively strengthen the trust's position at this time then it would be petty, selfish and rather stupid of them.

I'm not sure that "temporary free membership" is an option. E-membership most always would be free but simply "registering" would not make someone a member even temporarily.