Why does the club still have this huge £10m shortfall per season?

Don't forget the the other parameter which is that Auchenhowie costa a lot to run, and. I don't think it has ever fulfilled it's real economic/player skill potential.

Aye, well the training complex won't be cheap to run although the youth system is funded in it's own right by Rangers Lotto. I think it runs at a loss IIRC though, but I'm not sure how much of a loss exactly.

Regarding it's economic potential, I agree that it should really have been doing better for us, but from reading comments from Elfideldo it sounds like that's got a lot to do with it being poorly run. Still, we've managed to sell a number of good players who've come through the ranks at MP and the sales of the likes of Alan Hutton, Danny Wilson and Charlie Adam have given us quite a lot of cash. We've also got some 1st team players just now who've come from our youths and could raise us some cash if they were sold, but I'd rather hold onto guys like Fleck, Hutton, Ness and Perry if we can because they're good players and there's others like Cole & Naismith who're both on loan to the Jags who might come good for us.

Edited by Zappa

I'll draw up a direct comparison of that 08/09 squad and the current one side by side. Should be interesting, but probably a bit depressing too.

Ok, well here it is -

.....2008/09..................2011/12

scaled.php?server=267&filename=squadcomparison08091112.png&res=medium

Edited by Zappa

Depressing isn't the word :facepalm:

Aye, it's pretty poor indeed. I definitely think the direct comparison shows that the squad we have just now must be costing a hell of a lot less in wages. There's a difference of several million pounds in those two wage bills.

& the only player that we miss, IMO, is Miller.

It's not really that depressing to me, the difference is depth. We are stretched right now even with a full squad so injuries are catastrophic for us.

On the other hand, Miller & Mendes aside, I wouldn't really say that the left hand side is any better quality. It's just bulky, & the majority of that bulk is extremely average.

I discount the likes of Adam, who have gone on to be extremely successful, from my perception of quality because he wasn't getting a chance to shine at Rangers & potentially never would.

I can see why you suggest comparing that season from a European football point of view given that we went out to Kaunas in the CL qualifiers, but the wage bill for the playing squad MUST have been far far higher that season compared to this season. On top of that, Walter was allowed to spend a small fortune in the summer 2008 transfer window buying 8 new players (Lafferty, Davis, Mendes, Edu, Bougherra, Miller, Velicka & Webster) at a cost of £18m+ while only selling Cuellar, Cousin & Sebo. We did release Darcheville & Burke in January '09, but even still, take a look back at our squad that season and compare it to our current squad:

Allan McGregor

Maurice Edu

David Weir

Pedro Mendes

Sasa Papac

Barry Ferguson

Brahim Hemdani

Kevin Thomson

Kris Boyd

Nacho Novo

Charlie Adam

Lee McCulloch

Steven Naismith

Alan Gow

Graeme Smith

Chris Burke

Kenny Miller

Jean-Claude Darcheville

DaMarcus Beasley

Kirk Broadfoot

Andy Webster

Christian Dailly

Madjid Bougherra

Neil Alexander

Steven Smith

Kyle Lafferty

Steven Whittaker

Aarón Niguez

Steven Davis

Andrius Velicka

Rory Loy

John Fleck

Andrew Little

When you consider Walter's transfer market spending and the cost of running that playing squad, do you still think this supposed £10m loss "doesn't seem unreasonable"??

So what would you say was the wage savings between then and now? £7m worth? That would bring the operating loss down from £17m to £10m ;)

I guess if I was doing an estimate, I'd probably come in under £10m. However I reckon I'd come in nearer £10m than £5m, although that's with 15 seconds analysis and I haven't sat down and done more detail. At this point it doesn't seem too relevant.

& the only player that we miss, IMO, is Miller.

It's not really that depressing to me, the difference is depth. We are stretched right now even with a full squad so injuries are catastrophic for us.

On the other hand, Miller & Mendes aside, I wouldn't really say that the left hand side is any better quality. It's just bulky, & the majority of that bulk is extremely average.

I discount the likes of Adam, who have gone on to be extremely successful, from my perception of quality because he wasn't getting a chance to shine at Rangers & potentially never would.

Must resist Boyd thread!!