Offensive Behaviour at Football and Threatening Communications (Scotland) Act 2012

The above act is now applicable from today.

As well as it being a fascinating weekend in terms of seeing if there is a dramatic change in the way some supports are policed at the actual games, I'm obligated to remind you about the second part of the Act.

Please take that responsibility seriously.

:)

The above act is now applicable from today.

As well as it being a fascinating weekend in terms of seeing if there is a dramatic change in the way some supports are policed at the actual games, I'm obligated to remind you about the second part of the Act.

Please take that responsibility seriously.

:)

Thanks Frankie

I would assume that the use of the "H" word now disappears into history?

From our homepage, the words of the matchday commander:

RANGERS fans are ready to raise the roof at Ibrox on Saturday in support of their club but they are reminded that they have to do it in the right way.

New legislation has kicked in which means the police will take action if offensive songs are sung or banners are produced.

However, Ibrox Match Commander Andy Bates is hoping that all fans will create a good atmosphere at the stadium.

He said: "There has been a significant improvement in behaviour both here at Ibrox and across the country. Other supporters groups have joined in and there have been big improvements in recent times.

"I would like to think that self-policing is the way forward. Rangers have been quite explicit in asking any supporters who have concerns to come forward and we are very supportive of that.

"I'm not saying the police are the last resort, but a good result for me is very few arrests if any at all.

"We want everyone to come to the stadium and enjoy themselves by singing songs that support their team.

"There have been problems in recent years with fans singing songs that bring nothing but disgrace on themselves and the club and on Scotland as a nation.

"We don't want that any more. We want to be positive and we want to take this forward to show Scottish football in its best light.

"We believe Ibrox will be full again this weekend and we certainly hope it's a good atmosphere."

The Offensive Behaviour at Football and Threatening Communications (Scotland) Act 2012 has come into effect and Commander Bates has explained its implications.

He said: "The legislation has two distinct parts. The first part covers behaviour at football and the second one is about threatening communications.

"In terms of this weekend's game it is behaviour. It means people cannot sing or chant or carry banners that are in any way offensive.

"They cannot make any expression of religious or racial hatred and they can't show overt support for a terrorist organisation or sing songs or have banners that suggest that.

"All of this is illegal and we will be taking steps to deal with that.

"No-one coming to the match should notice any difference. We have new legislation and we will be using it but there will be no change to the policing style.

"As always we will take action if we need to and we will make arrests if we need to.

"We can also give warnings or we can gather evidence and on some occasions act retrospectively to prosecute people if we feel it is the right course or action."

Make the Scumhut a place free of all Hooped Horrors then?!

As I put it somewhere else, "Fenian" as such is neither threatening nor is it offensive. It denominates a member of a terrorist group or supporter of somesuch. Not a Roman Catholic nor an Irishman nor a mixture of both.

And to be precise, in literature and mythology it also denominates a cycle of Irish legends about ancient warriors and people. But that, much like what the media claims in the West of Scotland about the meaning, lies well beyond our songs and chants.

For example, what goes on now is like claiming that anti-ETA chants can't be done because they are offensive to the Basque population. Maybe I am utterly wrong here, but we chant against the terrorists and their supporters (i.e. anti-British behaviour). Can you imagine that say Bilbao supporters chant pro ETA (i.e. terrorist) songs (which I doubt they do, but anyway) and the government and law enforcers forbid the opposition's support to chant anti-ETA songs? That is what is happening in Scotland, something which must be utterly appaling to the victims of IRA blasts and any British soldier visiting a ground where the Hopped Horrors play.

Edited by der Berliner