A Match for Europe & The Debate (BBC)

I am in the studio audience for the Debate tomorrow night following the programme "A Match for Europe" on now.

Anyone with ideas (keep them clean) about the way forward, let me know asap, I will check this thread up to midnight but unfortunately cannot access Gersnet during the day tomorrow.

Sorry I missed that. What is the debate going to be about exactly?

According to the producer:

The programme is called Scottish Football â?? The Debate and it will take place on Tuesday 6th March at the BBC Scotland studios at Pacific Quay in Glasgow.

The debate will look at the state of Scottish football and will come off the back of a documentary weâ??re putting out the previous night (Monday March 5) fronted by Jim Traynor called A Match for Europe?

The debate will be chaired by Rob Maclean and will look at issues such as youth development, structure and governance, the national team, finance, and no doubt other areas.

There will be a panel of 5 or 6 â?? currently confirmed Stewart Regan, Craig Levein, Gordon Strachan, Jim Traynor, Steven Pressley, and likely an SPL chairman and / or other manager â?? plus a group of 20 or so key stakeholders in the game , powerbrokers and administrators in Scottish football, some other chairmen and managers, key figures from prominent youth academies and youth football, as well as some fans representatives.

You could ask Levein if he thinks his 4-6-0 formation will inspire kids to take up the game?

Good point, considering that on the programme tonight he was talking about a new way for all Scottish teams to play football - technique and all that.

Sounds interesting. Grass roots football AND cultural education should be discussed IMO.

Getting people into the game young is good. Getting youngsters into the game with one eye on lucrative pay packets is part of the problem IMO. Education on religion and its relevance to football should also be taught at an early age.

I fear the discussion may turn more sinister towards our club in particular & with the current panel, we won't have much defence.

When debating Rangers' "fragile" financesthese days, you may point out that it took one out-standing payment of 85k from Rangers to have Pars players take a wage cut. What would happen to the SPL teams if there were no Rangers, or Celtic for that matter?

BH, I'd like you to ask why it's taken Rangers to go into administration for all these investigations, debates and rule book changing discussions to take place. In the past two years two other clubs have went into administration (one for a second time) and hardly anyone batted an eyelid. Ok, so Gretna were esssentially a minnow club, but Dundee FC certainly weren't. Why were there not discussions about tightening the rules after Dundee went into Admin' for a second time in a decade? Were there not alarm bells ringing? Does it take Scottish football to collapse to it's knees before the people running the game in our country start taking notice? :fuming:

I am in the studio audience for the Debate tomorrow night following the programme "A Match for Europe" on now.

Anyone with ideas (keep them clean) about the way forward, let me know asap, I will check this thread up to midnight but unfortunately cannot access Gersnet during the day tomorrow.

Why can Scotland not follow the Dutch system and have area teams where generations grandfather, father,son, all play for the same club. A team as Renfrew juniors could have a full amateur system behind it with a youth development system. Some amateur teams in Holland have 20+ senior teams from all levels and a large number of youth teams. A club as Renfrew Juniors should be a community football club where they have a complex with a number of grass parks and all levels of play from the top team down to the veteran team or guys just wanting a runabout.

Members pay a contribution to play for the club + there is normally a social club where money comes in from bar sales.

I don't know if you can make a question out of that but Scotland needs to get away from the one team club culture.

Can you also ask Craig Leveign who the fuck cuts his hair and ask if it would not be better if he changed his barber.:smile:

Speaking of Gretna.... Why on earth were they allowed to play in the SPL when they didn't have a suitable stadium or significant fan numbers? Falkirk were denied entry on the stadium technicality even although they were a very good club, then a couple of years later the powers that be allowed Gretna entry? What on earth are these people thinking?