Admins broker a deal with Whyte re: shares and The Blue Knights

I posted this in another thread,but thought I'd post it hear as well.

Brian Kennedy hints at teaming up with Paul Murray's Blue Knights

BRIAN KENNEDY last night threw his weight behind Paul Murray’s plan to rescue Rangers.

And the Sale Sharks owner insisted he could team up with the Blue Knights if they need his cash to help oust Craig Whyte.

Paul Murray large image

Kennedy reluctantly took a step back from the race to save the club from Whyte’s clutches yesterday when he was told by administrators his bid was not one of the biggest offers on the table.

Record Sport understands Murray’s group and a consortium from Chicago involving Club 9 Sports are considered by Duff and Phelps to be the two front runners now, although an unnamed British bidder and a party from Singapore are also still involved.

But, in an exclusive interview, Kennedy made clear his belief the Blue Knights should be given the keys to Ibrox.

And he did not rule out the prospect of adding some of his wealth to their bid.

Kennedy said: “No, I would not rule myself out of getting involved with the Blue Knights if they need me to help save the club. If they need me, I’ll be there. If they don’t, I won’t. It’s all about saving the club.

“For now I will let Paul get on with this as he seems to have his investors all sorted out.

“The reason I don’t like consortiums is because it is so difficult to get all the parties around one table and to agree on things.

“But Paul has managed to get everything in place and organised to the point that he is able to produce the funds required. Therefore there is no need at this stage to involve me.”

Murray was quick to welcome Kennedy’s backing and also refused to rule out the prospect of teaming up.

Murray told Record Sport: “I’ve been speaking regularly with Brian throughout this process and I am convinced he is a genuine guy who has the club’s best interests at heart. For that reason I am open to the idea of Brian joining our group.

“We need all the help and the ideas we can get because there are huge challenges facing the club and a great deal of work to be done.”

Kennedy also called for Whyte to back down on his threat to tip the club into liquidation rather than hand his shares over to Murray.

After emergency talks with Whyte in London on Wednesday, Duff and Phelps remain confident the shamed owner will NOT block any sale.

Kennedy, though, remains on a watching brief and says he will be willing to step in again should the club be plunged any further towards oblivion.

But he is now convinced that Murray’s rescue package is the best deal for the club.

He said: “Currently I am the lowest bid. From day one I have always said I am here as a back stop should everything else fail and that remains the case. I am here to ensure Rangers doesn’t go out of business.

“The critical thing is that we need to move forward to ensure that we can put together a substantial team on the park in time for next season. Paul feels exactly the same way and we talk extensively every day about this.

“As things stand, we have players who have inserted clauses into their contracts which enable them to get out at the end of the season at a reduced value.

“They or their agents are probably going to be talking to other clubs because of all the uncertainty which surrounds Rangers.

“These guys will want to know who is going to be the owner? What are his plans going to be for the squad? How stable is the club going to be financially? What is the strategy of the owner?

“So the administrator needs to move quickly now to chose a best bidder. They need to chose the buyer and grant him a period of exclusivity in order to get this deal done.

“I hope that will be done with Paul because he definitely has the right intentions for the club and understands what is needed.

“So hopefully he can get in next week and start talking to the players and the manager and making all the plans that need to be made.”

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/2012/03...6908-23806685/

Herald on Twitter:

Martin Williams ‏ @Martin1Williams

#Rangers admins broker a deal with #CraigWhyte to sell his shares to the #BlueKnights consortium if they become the winning bidders

This could be the answer.

Though it would mean Whyte receiving money to walk away.

Perhaps the only way out of this.

This could be the answer.

Though it would mean Whyte receiving money to walk away.

Perhaps the only way out of this.

It could very well be the answer mate. Kennedy was well impressed with the Rangers fans on Sunday and seems like he genuinely wants to help the Rangers

Could this have been CW's game plan all along, to be paid to go away?

I think there may have been another part to his game plan that fell down when the Ticketus deal was made public, but yes, that was a large part of his plan.