CEO understands fans' reluctance to renew with SPL status under threat

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/football-news/article/2817375

By Neil Smith

CHARLES GREEN understands why Rangers fans are reluctant to renew their season tickets at a time when the club's SPL status is under threat.

And he knows he will have to work hard to gain the supporters' trust given the turmoil they have endured since February 14 when the Light Blues entered administration under previous owner Craig Whyte.

But speaking to RangersTV.tv at Ibrox today the new Chief Executive urged season ticket holders to make decisions 'based on their conscience and what they feel is right for the club.'

Green, of course, is as frustrated as anyone about the uncertainty surrounding the 2012/13 campaign but the Yorkshireman has reiterated that any money brought in from renewals will be ring fenced in a secure account.

He said: "We said in the letter that went out for renewals that any season ticket money we receive will be put in a specific account and it will be ring fenced, that is exactly where we are.

"That catered for a number of contingencies, not least of which was that in the event that we weren't playing football in any league, because one of the options still open to the SFA with the appellate trial is that we could have our license withdrawn or removed completely.

"It would be improper and unfair for us to receive money when we can't deliver a product.

"So that protection is still there but what I would say to fans is that we will, in my view, be playing football in Scotland.

"I can't say what league or division at this stage which is really unfortunate, but there is full protection there and as things unfold over the next few weeks we'll be able to come back to season ticket holders.

"I've met fans personally outside the stadium and people have also emailed and written to me.

"They've been saying they've taken up their season tickets while there are obviously people saying they're not taking up their season tickets too and we understand that.

"This issue of trust is not something which will be overcome overnight.

"The fans of this club were let down by the previous owner and, to some extent, the owner before him.

"We never expected that would be forgotten overnight and for us, it's about repairing that trust and it's a long-term thing.

"We are here for the long term and I don't expect it to be an overnight success.

"Fans have to make decisions based on their conscience and what they think is right for the club.

"What I can tell them is that money is protected and it's in an account which will not be used until I can sit in front of you and tell you where we're playing and what league we'll to be in."

Edited by Zappa

I just got a call from Rangers ticket office saying they have been told it's still business as usual and it's up to the individual what they want to do regarding their season ticket. He said they haven't been told or know anything that hasn't already been said in public.

Pretty poor given the situation with the vote coming up etc, there should be more clarity for the fans as to what will happen in different situations. IF we did go down divisions and they still asked for the same price then fine i'm sure a lot would pay this but they would need to give the fans more assurance and more details of their plans for the future before they buy at the higher price IMO.

IMHO, and especially if we go down one or three divisions, the supporters should not stop getting their season tickets. Yes, the product you will receive may not be what you have come to expect, but really, the club is in dire need of any pound and support it can get, especially if we get no SPL and essentially no TV money. A share issue et al is months away and if people are not sticking to the club now, one would be inclined to ask how deep their love for Rangers actually is. That is no insult or challenge, just MHO.

Of course, Green could e.g. attach a share or two with each season ticket bought. Not much, but a - hopefully eternal - reminder to the support what they are actually doing here.

IMHO, and especially if we go down one or three divisions, the supporters should not stop getting their season tickets. Yes, the product you will receive may not be what you have come to expect, but really, the club is in dire need of any pound and support it can get, especially if we get no SPL and essentially no TV money. A share issue et al is months away and if people are not sticking to the club now, one would be inclined to ask how deep their love for Rangers actually is. That is no insult or challenge, just MHO.

Of course, Green could e.g. attach a share or two with each season ticket bought. Not much, but a - hopefully eternal - reminder to the support what they are actually doing here.

my issue with that is all you will be doing is making people rich.

but in general the theorys spot on.

Who needs a share when they can vote on the new name for Murray Park? :rolleyes:

Who needs a share when they can vote on the new name for Murray Park? :rolleyes:

I for one hold my Rangers share* very dear. It is not worth much now, monetary-wise, but that was not the reason I bought it for and cherish it.

*The one I got when joining the RST years ago. (And no, I did not join the RST to get that share either.)

I for one hold my Rangers share* very dear. It is not worth much now, monetary-wise, but that was not the reason I bought it for and cherish it.

*The one I got when joining the RST years ago. (And no, I did not join the RST to get that share either.)

You no longer have a share in the club though. None of the old shareholders have their shares any more including Dave King who had over five million of them.