Rangers members of the English FA ... a wee while back

Some FFer found this out ...

"The fixture lists of the early Scottish clubs consisted of friendly matches, including some with English clubs.

Other Scottish clubs that played in the English Cup were Third Lanark, Cowlairs, Rangers, Renton and

Partick Thistle. However, in 1887, the Scottish F.A. declared that their clubs must withdraw from the

English F.A. and thus cease their participation in the English Cup.

A factor in this decision was the continuing argument on professional players; the English had made

payments legal in 1885 but the Scots remained strictly amateur until 1893.

Scots players were among the first professional players in the English game, lured south by attractive

offers of work."

So it seems that as opposed to Cardiff and Swansea, Rangers were actually forced to withdrew from the English competitions. Whether we are still "members" remains to be seen. (Maybe we should sue the SFA for 130 years of compensation, if they threaten us any more.

GIOVANNI DI STEFANO‏@DEVILSADVOKAT

In 1885 rangers football club was admitted to the English FA with a seat on the committee. That was brought to my attention

By a true Rangers supporter. Since the RFC was not incorporated till 1899 that means the club in the unincorporated firm was admitted

To the English FA.... On Monday I will know if that is still valid which I believe to be... If so then RFC may have an alternative

But RFC will really need the likes of mr Findlay but it is a possibility

As it was the unincorporated RFC that was admitted then in theory an unincorporated RFC is still a member but Monday FA will confirm to me

Surely a non starter. People would have known about this ages ago....

Even if they did, we would have had to have resigned from the SFA following a (3yr I believe) period of notice. Also IIRC when moving to England has been discussed, we would have had to get permission from the other SPL clubs and UEFA to make the move. Most importantly we would have to be accepted into the FA league structure. That's a lot of hurdles ...less now of course.

Even if they did, we would have had to have resigned from the SFA following a (3yr I believe) period of notice. Also IIRC when moving to England has been discussed, we would have had to get permission from the other SPL clubs and UEFA to make the move. Most importantly we would have to be accepted into the FA league structure. That's a lot of hurdles ...less now of course.

we aren't in the sfa. so that's ok.

can't see why we wound need spl approval right now.

Guest broxiblue

I doubt it would happen but would be delighted to be wrong.The SPL would be all for it too,so they can get rid of the big bad Rangers. ;)