Ally - This is what I wanted

You and I aren't afraid to speak our minds on here mate. Why would you think it's a fair comment to suggest others are?

because i have saw the abuse people who speak their mind and against the grain and popular opinion get online, some must think it is not worth the hassle, i think if it needs said, i will say it. everyone is different though mate. we are all fighting the same war just in different ways.

I wouldn't have a problem with that if a deal had been done with Alexander regarding getting match time in cup games. Keeping an excellent No.2 goalie happy can't be particularly easy!!

true but it should not be to the detriment of the team or club. alexander is a fine keeper, i dont think he was to blame for the falkirk defeat despite his howler. the outfield players were dreadful and their attitude even worse. did that complacency come from the dressing room/dug out? we will never know.

because i have saw the abuse people who speak their mind and against the grain and popular opinion get online, some must think it is not worth the hassle, i think if it needs said, i will say it. everyone is different though mate. we are all fighting the same war just in different ways.

It works both ways though. You probably don't see McCoist getting the praise he's due as a manager for the same reason.

You did say before that you're not interested in other managers, but just out of curiosity, who would you replace him with?

true but it should not be to the detriment of the team or club. alexander is a fine keeper, i dont think he was to blame for the falkirk defeat despite his howler. the outfield players were dreadful and their attitude even worse. did that complacency come from the dressing room/dug out? we will never know.

The team Ally put out should have won that game no problem, but there's always upsets in cup competitions because for wee teams like Falkirk a run in the cup is their big chance to make extra cash and win something. Remember Ross County's cup run a couple of years back? Gretna.....

I'm not completely excusing Ally for that cup defeat btw because I wasn't happy about his team selection at the time, but at the end of the day a couple of slip ups on the pitch cost us that game, so as is so often the case, it was a very fine line between winning and losing.

It works both ways though. You probably don't see McCoist getting the praise he's due as a manager for the same reason.

You did say before that you're not interested in other managers, but just out of curiosity, who would you replace him with?

what praise is he due as a manager though? he had a disastrous first season in charge. as a person and representative of the rangers family i have already said he has been amazing.

at the time when walter was stepping down i thought we needed a manager who had experience of being his own man, a manager who knew how to work with a budget and a manager who had experience himself of the transfer market. i really fancied derek mcinnes. i would rather have had terry butcher than ally too, experienced managers who had worked with very tight budgets and who proved they are tactically sound too. malky mckay would have been a cracking shout and a bold move too. stewart mccall has turned out a fantastic coach but when walter stepped down, he was not ready, he needed that motherwell job as part of his learning curve. ally has had none of that, none of the experience needed. when he first took over some of his interviews and snippets from the press were really poor. his desperation to keep whittaker for example, his declaration that the players would be ready for the new season another. saying we would not make signings for the sake of it and then doing just that, couple that with the mistakes he made on the park and the tone for the season was set.

Edited by kuznetsov

The team Ally put out should have won that game no problem, but there's always upsets in cup competitions because for wee teams like Falkirk a run in the cup is their big chance to make extra cash and win something. Remember Ross County's cup run a couple of years back? Gretna.....

I'm not completely excusing Ally for that cup defeat btw because I wasn't happy about his team selection at the time, but at the end of the day a couple of slip ups on the pitch cost us that game, so as is so often the case, it was a very fine line between winning and losing.

more often than not mate it is a very fine line i agree.

what praise is he due as a manager though? he had a disastrous first season in charge. as a person and representative of the rangers family i have already said he has been amazing.

at the time when walter was stepping down i thought we needed a manager who had experience of being his own man, a manager who knew how to work with a budget and a manager who had experience himself of the transfer market. i really fancied derek mcinnes. i would rather have had terry butcher than ally too, experienced managers who had worked with very tight budgets and who proved they are tactically sound too. malky mckay would have been a cracking shout and a bold move too. stewart mccall has turned out a fantastic coach but when walter stepped down, he was not ready, he needed that motherwell job as part of his learning curve. ally has had none of that, none of the experience needed. when he first took over some of his interviews and snippets from the press were really poor. his desperation to keep whittaker for example, his declaration that the players would be ready for the new season another. saying we would not make signings for the sake of it and then doing just that.

First of all, I would have to again argue that last season in footballing terms was not a disaster. In fact the end result in terms of points on the board was probably about as much as could been expected from the best of our previous managers given the squad at our disposal. Bearing in mind that the squad was no stronger than the one which WS was so highly praised of winning the title with the previous season and points on the board (without the 10pt deduction) was higher than DA achieved with far far better resources in the 00-01 season, if you then (as you should) accommodate for off the field troubles, can you seriously call the manager's performance a disaster?

As for the alternatives you've suggested, I'll admit Derek McInnes has done surprisingly well with limited resources at small clubs. He's however shown nothing to suggest that he could cut it (i.e. win titles) given an opportunity at a bigger club. Stuart McCall has looked impressive at Motherwell, as did the likes of Brown, McGhee and Butcher before him. Speaking of Butcher, how can you seriously criticise McCoist's early performance in his media duties and then suggest Butcher? It would be less embarrassing to bring back PLG to do the talking for him.

First of all, I would have to again argue that last season in footballing terms was not a disaster. In fact the end result in terms of points on the board was probably about as much as could been expected from the best of our previous managers given the squad at our disposal. Bearing in mind that the squad was no stronger than the one which WS was so highly praised of winning the title with the previous season and points on the board (without the 10pt deduction) was higher than DA achieved with far far better resources in the 00-01 season, if you then (as you should) accommodate for off the field troubles, can you seriously call the manager's performance a disaster?

As for the alternatives you've suggested, I'll admit Derek McInnes has done surprisingly well with limited resources at small clubs. He's however shown nothing to suggest that he could cut it (i.e. win titles) given an opportunity at a bigger club. Stuart McCall has looked impressive at Motherwell, as did the likes of Brown, McGhee and Butcher before him. Speaking of Butcher, how can you seriously criticise McCoist's early performance in his media duties and then suggest Butcher? It would be less embarrassing to bring back PLG to do the talking for him.

we had a huge squad, over 30 first team players, they underachieved big time. i think ally had a stronger squad than walter, he added more bodies than he lost. i didnt like advocaat, i thought he was a failure and ran at the first sign of the £'s drying up and a real challenge from celtic. i dont think we can compare two seperate seasons points wise, especially so far apart, every year is different, every season has different factors and different teams participating. yes, it was a disaster in my mind, cup failure after cup failure, points dropped all over the place in the league too, it was shocking.

well we dont know that about derek as he has not been given a chance at a club who could win trophies or titles. what has butcher done in the media which you dont like? he has the management experience and what we were needing at that time, that is why i suggested him. ironically i did like PLG and supported him over murray, the fans and the auchenhowie rebels.

we had a huge squad, over 30 first team players, they underachieved big time. i think ally had a stronger squad than walter, he added more bodies than he lost. i didnt like advocaat, i thought he was a failure and ran at the first sign of the £'s drying up and a real challenge from celtic. i dont think we can compare two seperate seasons points wise, especially so far apart, every year is different, every season has different factors and different teams participating. yes, it was a disaster in my mind, cup failure after cup failure, points dropped all over the place in the league too, it was shocking.

well we dont know that about derek as he has not been given a chance at a club who could win trophies or titles. what has butcher done in the media which you dont like? he has the management experience and what we were needing at that time, that is why i suggested him. ironically i did like PLG and supported him over murray, the fans and the auchenhowie rebels.

Funnily enough, you won't get much of an argument from me about PLG. He had his shortcomings and made some mistakes which led to his downfall, but I did feel at the time he was replaced with WS that in some ways it was a setback to both Rangers and the National side.

Ironically, one of PLG's failings which was quickly rectified by WS was his defence. Our stability was restored and then solidified on that basis under WS. Ally then had the thankless task of doing likewise and restoring that foundation last season and imo did a good job. Considering that he was working to a limited transfer budget, Goian, Boca and Wallace were all sound purchases.