Our European record - conversation moved from other thread

Big hammerings for any Scottish team in Europe is the norm now along with humpings by the like of Kaunus and Artmedia (5-0) Glory days are well behind us, the state of affairs

when is the last time celtic took a pumping? utrecht was 2 seasons ago, their team has grown and improved since then. you say the "norm now" but mention bratislava which was 7 years ago, a long long time ago, not "now" as you say. they are unbeaten in their last 4 european away matches and have hardly conceded a goal. tarring everyone with the same scottish football brush is wrong. no one is asking for glory days, just the ability to compete 11 men against 11. all too often we cannot even do that. we are better than our record suggests, we have badly underachieved in europe in the last 20 to 25 years years and it is no coincidence that our longest serving manager during that time is the man in question above, undoubtedly a club legend but a poor football manager in my mind. 2 decent runs in europe during that period for the worlds most successful club and one of the worlds greatest clubs is disgraceful. some of the utter dross we have lost to on the european stage over the years has been terrible. heading off topic a bit here. apologies to admin for that.

Edited by kuznetsov

Well the run starts from the first leg vs Fiorentina.

That's a convenient place to start a poor run of Euro results if you want a wee Walter bashing session.

Pick Advocaat's worst run of Euro results as our manager and work out how much dosh he spent over that period in comparison to what Walter spent on players almost a decade later over a similarly sized run of games. Then on top of that, try comparing the quality of the squads of players the two managers had at their disposal and what they managed to get out of them in terms of Euro success. :smokin:

That's a convenient place to start a poor run of Euro results if you want a wee Walter bashing session.

Pick Advocaat's worst run of Euro results as our manager and work out how much dosh he spent over that period in comparison to what Walter spent on players almost a decade later over a similarly sized run of games. Then on top of that, try comparing the quality of the squads of players the two managers had at their disposal and what they managed to get out of them in terms of Euro success. :smokin:

No excuses for Kaunas, Unirea etc. :whistling:

advocaats record was poor too and he was outspending most european teams at the time. i always say advocaat was just another murray mistake.

when is the last time celtic took a pumping? utrecht was 2 seasons ago, their team has grown and improved since then. you say the "norm now" but mention bratislava which was 7 years ago, a long long time ago, not "now" as you say. they are unbeaten in their last 4 european away matches and have hardly conceded a goal. tarring everyone with the same scottish football brush is wrong. no one is asking for glory days, just the ability to compete 11 men against 11. all too often we cannot even do that. we are better than our record suggests, we have badly underachieved in europe in the last 20 to 25 years years and it is no coincidence that our longest serving manager during that time is the man in question above, undoubtedly a club legend but a poor football manager in my mind. 2 decent runs in europe during that period for the worlds most successful club and one of the worlds greatest clubs is disgraceful. some of the utter dross we have lost to on the european stage over the years has been terrible. heading off topic a bit here. apologies to admin for that.
Mate I think seven years ago was good but now the 'norm' is a humping and will continue to be so.

Rangers and Celtic have been punching above their weight for years - qualification for the CL will become forever and ever more and more difficult, Celtics qualification this season will most likely be the last time you'll see the like's again for ever.

Sorry for going off topic chaps...hic

Edited by 54andcounting
fanny and that hic

i have yet to meet any rangers fan who was not embarrassed or disgusted by the defeats to kaunas and unirea not to mention strasbourg, aek, gothenburg, prague, auxerre, levski, osasuna all those embarassing defeats to financially weaker opposition. all under the same manager. shocking.

And I have yet to meet a Bear who wasnt delirious with joy when he took our team to the UEFA final in 2008..... A once in a lifetime achievement for most of us. Thanks Walter.

i have yet to meet any rangers fan who was not embarrassed or disgusted by the defeats to kaunas and unirea not to mention strasbourg, aek, gothenburg, prague, auxerre, levski, osasuna all those embarassing defeats to financially weaker opposition. all under the same manager. shocking.

Some people's world appear to rotate solely about Rangers, it seems. Fair enough, but that's no good if you follow a football team. And while I am at it, money is just one of many factors to turn this game of chance your way. More often than not, more money will increase your chances ... and do so. But to highlight all those cases where it didn't sure is no objective view on things. And again, people all too easily forget or ignore that many other teams either have no European football at all, or the odd foray within a decade.

Rangers in Europe ... does hardly make a grim reading at all, not least given the way the "real finances" were being distributed these last 20odd years. Obviously, this all depends on what sort of view people have on a) our "standing in Europe" (imagined or real) and b) their view on the ability of our managers.

And I have yet to meet a Bear who wasnt delirious with joy when he took our team to the UEFA final in 2008..... A once in a lifetime achievement for most of us. Thanks Walter.

only to be met with complete and utter disappointment and anger that we didnt even have the balls take part in the final itself. that night confirmed everything i had ever thought about walter as a manager.

Mate I think seven years ago was good but now the 'norm' is a humping and will continue to be so.

Rangers and Celtic have been punching above their weight for years - qualification for the CL will become forever and ever more and more difficult, Celtics qualification this season will most likely be the last time you'll see the like's again for ever.

Sorry for going off topic chaps...hic

i couldnt disagree more. i think both have underachieved heavily.

How any anyone can say Rangers have been a success in Europe in the last 20 years is beyond me, we have been terrible and apart for one backs to the wall run which was great if you where a fan, but made everyone else switch off. If you claim that makes us a European success then I'm sorry but your whistling in the wind.