Rangers Unite Statement

For the past two months the board of the RST, in partnership with other members of the Rangers Family, have been working on a Community Share Scheme.

The Community Share Scheme is designed to bring about a significant stake in Rangers FC by way of investing in the club as a collective and helping to secure the club’s long term future.

Because of the size of the task involved, we sought out help from our members and the wider Rangers support. We were delighted by the response and the calibre of individuals that have got involved.

Supporters Direct, the governing body for supporters trusts in the UK, have also supported the process through their network of resources.

Ian Davidson MP's involvement to date has been to, very helpfully, broker a meeting with the club.

Paul Goodwin (SD), Ian Davidson MP and Chris Graham (Chris has been helping to co-ordinate the project) all attended a meeting with Mr Green and Mr Stockbridge recently to discuss the concepts of fan investment and involvement in the club. Mr Green and Mr Stockbridge were very receptive to these concepts.

The content of this meeting and previous discussions has been communicated to The Rangers Supporters Assembly and Rangers Supporters Association in order to hopefully achieve widespread backing for the project. The groups will reconvene after consultation.

Despite all the troubles of the past six months, the Rangers Family will hopefully soon have an opportunity to invest in, and have a real say in the future of, the club we all love. The Trust Board will further update members if and when the project is ready to launch."

For the past two months the board of the RST, in partnership with other members of the Rangers Family, have been working on a Community Share Scheme.

The Community Share Scheme is designed to bring about a significant stake in Rangers FC by way of investing in the club as a collective and helping to secure the club’s long term future.

Because of the size of the task involved, we sought out help from our members and the wider Rangers support. We were delighted by the response and the calibre of individuals that have got involved.

Supporters Direct, the governing body for supporters trusts in the UK, have also supported the process through their network of resources.

Ian Davidson MP's involvement to date has been to, very helpfully, broker a meeting with the club.

Paul Goodwin (SD), Ian Davidson MP and Chris Graham (Chris has been helping to co-ordinate the project) all attended a meeting with Mr Green and Mr Stockbridge recently to discuss the concepts of fan investment and involvement in the club. Mr Green and Mr Stockbridge were very receptive to these concepts.

The content of this meeting and previous discussions has been communicated to The Rangers Supporters Assembly and Rangers Supporters Association in order to hopefully achieve widespread backing for the project. The groups will reconvene after consultation.

Despite all the troubles of the past six months, the Rangers Family will hopefully soon have an opportunity to invest in, and have a real say in the future of, the club we all love. The Trust Board will further update members if and when the project is ready to launch."

Thank you for posting this. I was fortunate enough to have one or two discussions on the fringes of this project. My advice at the time was not to go public with any scheme that involved supporter contributions until some kind of agreement had been reached with Charles Green and his investors as to what kind of percentage of ownership of the club would they be willing to concede for a given investment. I was of the view that the support need to know exactly what they will be getting for their financial support. I would hope that the discussions alluded to in the statement have moved in this direction.

I note the Rangers Unite statement. If they have a concrete scheme to bring to Rangers supporters and a financial and legal structure which would underpin it then I think we would all be very interested in discussing that. If not, then I think it unhelpful to be trying to derail those who do have something substantive to offer.

Thank you for posting this. I was fortunate enough to have one or two discussions on the fringes of this project. My advice at the time was not to go public with any scheme that involved supporter contributions until some kind of agreement had been reached with Charles Green and his investors as to what kind of percentage of ownership of the club would they be willing to concede for a given investment. I was of the view that the support need to know exactly what they will be getting for their financial support. I would hope that the discussions alluded to in the statement have moved in this direction.

I note the Rangers Unite statement. If they have a concrete scheme to bring to Rangers supporters and a financial and legal structure which would underpin it then I think we would all be very interested in discussing that. If not, then I think it unhelpful to be trying to derail those who do have something substantive to offer.

Happy to confirm that we told Charles Green in the meeting that if the supporters decided to purchase shares in some sort of collective fashion then they would have to be told exactly what the purchase offered and also what level of say it would give the fans over the running of the club.

Happy to confirm that we told Charles Green in the meeting that if the supporters decided to purchase shares in some sort of collective fashion then they would have to be told exactly what the purchase offered and also what level of say it would give the fans over the running of the club.

Thanks for the quick and positive response. I really do think that this is the right way to go.

What did Charles Green say in response?

We've discussed the membership fee and what it should be. Any time a reduction is discussed the topic, and a very important point, is our life members and subscription members who pay annually might feel aggrieved. It's not off the table as yet and will no doubt be looked at again. An AGM/SGM would have to resolve it as the board couldn't just do this on its own.

We've discussed this before on Gersnet as you might remember and I think Bluedell was correct to point it out again here.

If people have to pay to join the Rangers Supporters Trust in order to buy shares and have a real say in the club, then there's potentially a huge fundamental problem with the plan.

Unless you can convince a massive Rangers man who almost everyone in the support genuinely likes such as Walter Smith or someone of a similar calibre to be a frontman and spearhead the scheme, then there's a big problem because the fans (en masse) would need a highly respected figurehead they thought they could really trust before they'd all be willing to join the Trust as a means to an end. Even then, I think many would steer clear knowing full well that the frontman was just a face.

Edited by Zappa